Is it dangerous to drive with these warnings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my LCAs recently and my alignment was all kinds jacked up(I didn't mark the bolts) - camber, caster and toe were all over the place. Traction control would kick in in right hand sweeping turns when going slowly, and then id get all the warnings that you're getting now. Fixed it all with an alignment. It seems that if the alignment is too far off, it will send traction control into limp home mode, which then affects HDC and other stuff. I also noticed that it would drop to the bump stops when this happened. So long story short, you need a full alignment.
Dude this is EXACTLY the kind of reply i was hoping to get. Ty so much! Alignment is definitely the plan now. I wonder if that will also fix the issue with the steering wheel. Maybe its all connected.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nothing the mechanic did. Same thing happened when I had the car towed on a flat bed. The wheels we're ratcheted down and pulled out of alignment enough for the car's stability control to go in limp mode. The steering wheel was at the 11 o'clock position.
Alignment made everything go away.
Same as i told the previous poster, this is great tip! Super constructive. Thank you!!!!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nothing the mechanic did. Same thing happened when I had the car towed on a flat bed. The wheels we're ratcheted down and pulled out of alignment enough for the car's stability control to go in limp mode. The steering wheel was at the 11 o'clock position.
Alignment made everything go away.

right, but the fact that the mechanic didn’t know that and most of the armatures (myself included) on this forum did, is the problem...I still would emphasize, fire the mechanic for ignorance. It’s not that he’s a bad guy, he’s just clearly not aware of how these trucks work.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, they are.
I’ve been watching youtube videos to try to familiarize myself with the process of fixing the steering wheel issue, and that was a rabbit hole that led me to videos on replacing control arms. So... how do u know u need to replace a control arm? What symptoms does one experience when driving that hint towards that? And what is the common problem with control arms that would warrant swapping them out for new ones?

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive 10mph, stab on the brakes briefly. If there is a clunk, your LCA bushings are shot. In my case, the bushings were shot and the ball joints were also in bad shape, which meant replacing the entire arms, rather than just bushings.

Crosboro

Reaction score
Sounds like whoever your mechanic is, has no idea about working on LRs. I've owned many different brands of cars, and learned the expensive way that it's better to take any car to either the dealer or a shop that specializes in the brand.

E1966

Reaction score
Your wheel alignment is off, I would take it to get all wheels aligned. regarding your codes your battery might be dying.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been watching youtube videos to try to familiarize myself with the process of fixing the steering wheel issue, and that was a rabbit hole that led me to videos on replacing control arms. So... how do u know u need to replace a control arm? What symptoms does one experience when driving that hint towards that? And what is the common problem with control arms that would warrant swapping them out for new ones?

YouTube is a great source of info, but I find this forum far more helpful for diagnosing. I swapped my bushings for cheap using the bushing kit from Atlantic British. I jacked the car under the frame, dropped the LCA (left it connected by the ball joint without even taking off the tire). Then used a sawsall to cut out the old bushing (rubber and outer metal sleeve). Slid in new poly bush and reconnected. I figured if my independent does the replacement of the bushings with the control arm on, so could I... took me 30-40 min per arm. Then off to the alignment shop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72