Is there any reason to get the 19" wheels on an HSE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy is an idiot. You should see the ****-my-ride 19" chrome wheels he got on this thing from Ford. It's their de-luxe special. A white car on chrome wheels is quite the combo.

He keeps telling his wife (she drives it) that it gets better mileage, but that just didn't ring true with me.

I've had zero issues with my 19" on-road or off-road. They work fine, but I'm not rock-crawling, either.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a proud owner of and HSE with 19's, and everyone has said the truth here. The 19's have some limitations on tires. However, mine are chromed, and they look great for around town. With Michelin Synchrones, you can go some pretty tough areas, except expect to slip some in sandy areas. I have been extremely pleased with the versatility of the Synchrones on my 19's. I am getting a set of 18s with Cooper Zeon LTZ's and will keep them for the serious offroad trips (like the Great Divide Challenge II this summer).

One thing certain...the GoodGodYears are awful, and as soon as you move on to another tire, it will be one of the happiest in your LandRover life. The Synchrones are quiet, and corner really well.

So consider your uses...if only occasional offroad, don't worry about the 19;s, but be sure to move on to a better tire as soon as you can...

Last edited:
Reaction score
One caveat...

Goodyear claims that they will begin selling the 19" MT/R's this fall. I have a set and they are GREAT tires for off-roading. I have been riding on a set for over a year (replaced during the winter with the crappy stock HP's due to thei superior traction in rain) and I will happily replace them with another set when they wear out. One warning...the do hum just a little.

Attachments

• small fins47.jpg
    small fins47.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 80

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a better shot of Ray's MTR's:
100199180-M-3.jpg

LOL, I just couldn't resist. Sorry Ray :)

Here is the real photo:
100140248-M-3.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, those do look nice.
are the ones pictured 19 or 18 inch? (look like 18 inch as the sidewall seems longer)

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the 5 spoke 18", but what size and brand of tire are they??

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the Cooper Zeon LTZ, 285 x 60 x 18. I think it is a new tire for Cooper. America's Tire/Discount Tire have them. Cooper Tire sponsored each of the participants for this year's Great Divide Challenge II, that begins in a week or so, through Offroving.Com.

They ride much quieter than I would have thought, and the ride is good. I'll keepmyCrhome 19's and Synchrones for dates...:hello:

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
I have the stock 18s. I don't offroad that often - the occasional Land Rover dealer sponsored event. But, I do care about wet weather and snow/ice, as we like to ski.

Any recommendations for these conditions? I went to the website/blog referenced in the other thread, but there weren't any specific call outs for wet/snow/ice performance.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nokian hakkepelliitta are the best tires I've ever had for snow and ice. I'll be amazed if I spelled that right:)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo