Is there anyway to see if crossover pipes have been done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkiWill

Reaction score
Is there any way to check if crossover pipes have been done? I've had my LR4 for about 20,000 miles and 4 years (I don't use it to commute, just to camp, hunt, etc). It now has about 90,500 miles on it. I bought it pre-pandemic before prices were crazy and the GMC dealer where I bought it did not have full service records just a car fax showing it was indeed serviced regularly by previous owners.

I had it checked out by GBR in Salt Lake and they pressure tested the cooling system a couple of years ago and it was within spec and no indication of leaks.

So, there's no indication at the moment that I have to replace the crossover pipes and water pump, but if they are original, I should probably go ahead and do it as a preventative maintenance item. So, is there any way to determine whether they are original or not?

My Rover is a 2012 LR4 w/ 5.0 V8

Last edited:

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell on the front pipes. The original ones are two plastic pieces hermetically sealed together. The new ones are a smooth one piece part.
Coolant pump looks identical.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to tell on the front pipes. The original ones are two plastic pieces hermetically sealed together. The new ones are a smooth one piece part.
Coolant pump looks identical.
I replaced both of mine with parts purchased from the dealer - the front was the two piece heat welded together, the rear one is one solid piece - I don't think these were redesigned

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also air on the side of caution if you don't know whether or not these were replaced recently. Especially if you can do the work yourself, a few hundred bucks is well worth the piece of mind if you ask me.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced both of mine with parts purchased from the dealer - the front was the two piece heat welded together, the rear one is one solid piece - I don't think these were redesigned
My front is single piece. You may have replaced yours pre update, or the dealer didn’t give you the updated p/n (maybe to clear old stock?)

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the same front crossover due to placement of the supercharger snout. I believe Asilver is correct. Only the V6 crossover was redesigned. So, prob no way to tell if the pipe on the V8 was ever changed.

Pagoda

Reaction score
The as-built front crossover pipe on the last built LR4 (somewhat of a generalization but based on the fact that mine was one of the last 2000 built) has been modified to a new design. However I suspect that information is of limited help as you’d need to strip a few items away to check, by which time is suggest you’d want to replace the fitted component for new ones anyway.

In sum, if there’s doubt I’d err on the side of caution and take the plunge. If you’re confident doing your own work there is a wealth of info on the thread that walks you though the changeover on this forum. A video by forum member ‘txfromwi’ (I think) is a great aide.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Thanks! Here are my two videos. Crazy long - all you ever wanted to know but didn't even know to ask.
2013 V8 and 2016 V6.
(Also other video's out there and more to come - ugh - more to fix - gotta love 'em - they are our mechanical babies...)

When you do the 2016 be sure to replace the supercharger coupling and change to oil.

A lot of the information is these videos is from the Masters on this forum. My thanks to everyone.

I hope these help...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA