Is this normal wear and rust on a LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mturnerua

Reaction score
Spray the entire undercarriage with rust inhibitor, use two whole cans. I have used several brands that I buy from West Marine. The best (whose name I can't recall, dah??) comes in a tall silver can with blue letters and is label "Rust Inhibitor". It costs about $18 or $19 a can. This will do three things; virtually stop all future rest, keep the undercarriage looking shiny black and new, and the best part, the spray is wax based and the overspray that lands on the exhaust will burn off and will give the entire vehicle a "new car smell". Works like magic, has people thinking my '05 is brand new.

These are the only rust inhibitors I saw on West Marine's website. Is it one of these?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&keyword=rust+inhibitor&Ntt=rust+inhibitor&N=377+710&y=0&x=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

Dwave

Reaction score
From the looks of this vehicle I would check to make sure it's not a flood car. Could just be salt but front seat bolts should not be rusted.

mturnerua

Reaction score
From the looks of this vehicle I would check to make sure it's not a flood car. Could just be salt but front seat bolts should not be rusted.

I got an Auto Check on it and everything is clean, if you can trust the service.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the West Marine part number for the rust inhibitor that I like to use: 493817 Lear Chemical Corrosion Block, it's not cheap @ $19.99 a can but it works really well. I started using this stuff on a Jeep that I previously owned. When I moved to Key West, Fl I noticed that every Jeep, even new ones, had serious surface rust on the frame. As the frame is very visible on a Wrangler, I wanted to do something to keep it looking good. You can spray it on anything. It goes on like clear grease and then dries to form a fairly tough wax coating. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't very similar to the rust proofing agents used inside doors and other cavities of new cars.

There is another product that I have used on metal parts in boat bilges: CRC rust inhibitor (WM part # 279620). This may actually be a better rust inhibitor than the Lear product, it is a similar wax coating but looks to have cooper pigment suspended in it. I don't use this on my LR3 because it leaves a copper colored sheen and it doesn't smell very good.

Your LR3 is not a flood vehicle. If it had flooded enough to get water into the interior, it wouldn't be drive-able. I have seen post flood vehicles, it's not a pretty sight. The life span of a post saltwater flood vehicle is measured in hours not months. If it had been flooded in freshwater, it would be nearly impossible to remove all of the mud and debris to say nothing of the smell.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I have 37K on my 05 and I don't have any rust like that. However, I am in Texas and there is zero salt used on the roads in the winter.

A Jackson

Reaction score
Hello all... First post... I recently switched from a 2003 Disco with 100,000 miles to a 2006 LR3 HSE. LOVE the new truck! What an update...

So, I live in Wisconsin where the winters can be long and hard, and I have purchased the product outlined in this thread.

The BIG question... Do I simply just crawl under the truck and spray this stuff fore to aft? As another poster noted, is there anything I should be careful not to spray???

Thank you everyone in advance for your responses.

Regards...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo