It's a Land Rover!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sgllr3

Ok, this site is filled with songs of praise for the LR3, naturally. It's an enthusiasts forum.

But it is also stuffed with new and recurring problems/complaints.

There always seems to be a common response, or actually, mantra...
"It's a Land Rover!" - as if we should be satisfied with subpar materials, workmanship, or service!

Sure all car models have their problems, especially when they are being made more sophisticated than before, but DO NOT settle for mediocrity or even **** poor service!
If the wood trim sucks, complain!
If the nav screen goes blank, windows automatically roll down, wheels hum, suspension drops going 80 mph, and you can't move your foot to the brake because your back is in spasm for lack of lumbar support, don't just say "oh well. Its a Land Rover." Come ON!

You just dropped 55K for a piece of tin. Now your kid has to work her way through college. Expect more! THEY think their car is badass. - well, it is pretty sweet - But they CAN do better. Drive them to perfection. Telling THEM what you like, and especially DONT like. It is the only way THEY'LL give you the best experience possible.

R

redrover

Absolutely. I complained about the push and slide cup holders on our SI and how they were designed for a small tea cup (OK, I appreciate the source) and when they repeated it on the SII, I complained again. One day when they gave me a newer loaner during service, I noticed the giant American-Supersize me cup holders with the removable inserts to hold a pint of ale. I laughed out loud and imagined the marketing people saying something like "well if the yanks want cup holders, we'll bloody well give em cup holders". I told my service guy thanks for listening and passing it on. Then I asked him to install them (one screw a piece, not more than 10 minutes of work) When I picked up the car, The line item for the cup holder/install was about $100. Joe, my service guy has allways in all fairness treated me very well, and both LR's have been relatively inexpensive to maintain and allways "berry berry good to us"
I think I'm in the wrong business though. Anybody want to join me in building and selling a new vehicle? We could use unreliable parts from other car companys, sell about 100 units, shut the operation down, and then sit back and live on the spares business. -out-

F

Freeflytim

Read the NYT times article about Mercedes in this past Sundays issue.. EVERY VEHICLE has problems!

"" A typical Mercedes, he said, has the equivalent of 70 to 80 computers interacting with one another, and it is a challenge to make all those interactions flawless. "If your computer breaks down, you reboot and you're fine," Mr. Zetsche said. "In a car, that means you're stuck. You have to turn the key and start it again, and nobody accepts that."""

And you think its ONLY Land Rovers that have issues. Sorry, dude, thats not the case. Find a better truck and let us know what it is. I enjoyed replacing the tranny on my Yukon at 100k because "thats how long they last."

The minority screams the loudest.

R

redrover

I just read that article. I am now at piece with my decision. To modify the tag line from Dr. Strangelove, "how I stoped worrying and learned to love my Land Rover, warts and all". LR3-6, here I come. Thanks for the input. -out-

D

daytomann

redrover said:
I just read that article. I am now at piece with my decision. To modify the tag line from Dr. Strangelove, "how I stoped worrying and learned to love my Land Rover, warts and all". LR3-6, here I come. Thanks for the input. -out-

Great points on this thread. OK, OK now I'm starting to calm down....damn, after all the different types and brands of vehicles I've owned, I cant believe I was getting all bent over some of these posts.
LOL

D

daytomann

Freeflytim said:
Read the NYT times article about Mercedes in this past Sundays issue.. EVERY VEHICLE has problems!

"" A typical Mercedes, he said, has the equivalent of 70 to 80 computers interacting with one another, and it is a challenge to make all those interactions flawless. "If your computer breaks down, you reboot and you're fine," Mr. Zetsche said. "In a car, that means you're stuck. You have to turn the key and start it again, and nobody accepts that."""

And you think its ONLY Land Rovers that have issues. Sorry, dude, thats not the case. Find a better truck and let us know what it is. I enjoyed replacing the tranny on my Yukon at 100k because "thats how long they last."

The minority screams the loudest.

My uncle replaced his tranny on his 'Burb at around 100K also.

Perfect points!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9