Jack broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The threads stripping (shearing off) is a fundamental design (sizing) and/or manufacturing (material/process quality) problem that reeks of product liability issues. This needs to be brought up to LRNA with pretty high urgency.

It's one thing (itself not trivial) if the design requires a finicky alignment for the jack not to see offset loading or moments that can cause undesired loading leading to buckling. It's another thing entirely for the threads to shear off or the rod to fail under torsion while jacking up the car.

That is seriously messed up. I've never used mine so I don't know personally. I'm simply going by what is reported here.

Lifting equipment usually has some pretty serious factor of safety put in place. This should never be happening.

It’s a 12 year old jack that’s been used who knows how many times, in who knows what way. Jacking up a vehicle is risky business no matter what you use and I treat it as such. Unless you’re off-roading one rarely needs a jack. If you’re off road you shouldn’t use the factory jack. I’m not one of those guys that thinks LRNA is liable for a vehicle that’s been out of their hands for as long as mine has been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get 12 years? If the vehicle is a 2011, it's 8 years old, or maybe even just 7.

And, if a jack is used as little as you say, what's age got to do with it, anyway?

States have product defect statutes of limitation and statutes of repose for exactly this type of reason: to determine when too much time has past for someone to be liable.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get 12 years? If the vehicle is a 2011, it's 8 years old, or maybe even just 7.

And, if a jack is used as little as you say, what's age got to do with it, anyway?

States have product defect statutes of limitation and statutes of repose for exactly this type of reason: to determine when too much time has past for someone to be liable.
I was speaking of MY jack and that I have no idea what type of use it had seen prior to me owning the vehicle. I’m not interested in going after anyone for the jack failing.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screw that LR should have their hand slapped for putting that piece of junk into a vehicle. At least they can give you $50 so you can get a decent bottle jack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV