Johnson loft and spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello,
Purchased a 2018 lr5 a few weeks back for wife and fam.
I just ordered Johnson rods and 30mm spacers from lucky-8.
Any issues or draw backs? Been looking for pics of other lr5 with spacers, I don’t seem to find many...
*lift/loft lol
Cheers

UTMike

Reaction score
Why the spacers? What size tires do you plan to use? The majority of 275/55/20 off road tires do not need a spacer to fit.

xrp86

Reaction score
I want space too... just put on some KO2s 275/55/20

Are there any cons from spacers? I’ve heard tons of mixed feeling

no rubbing but I think it would look good getting tires flush with the fender.

planing on lifting with the gap tool, I already lifter my LR4, just need to add this VIN.

UTMike

Reaction score
Just curious about the spacers as the trails I usually go down are narrower than I'd like to begin with. I can't imagine taking up more room than necessary on the trail.

In theory, changing the geometry of the suspension by adding spacers could change the stress points on the suspension parts themselves and lead to premature breakage. Very important to note that I have no experience with using spacers on these vehicles though, so my speculation is just theory. The stressed parts could be very overbuilt and there is no danger at all. They may be 100% safe to use, I just haven't personally researched them enough...

I'm looking into the Johnson Rods myself. Just doing more research to get a level of comfort around them. I'd love to hear your feedback once you get them in!

xrp86

Reaction score
I’m rods and Gap tool to put a little bit xtra lift , 26mm front 13mm back, to get a more level stance slight squat on My LR 4.

ride is not as sturdy as stock but I bet it rides better than a Jeep!!

want the best ride, keep it stock. Maybe for the first 60k miles.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone's interested, here's a shot of my D5 with 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on 20" x 9.5" Redbourne wheels (stock wheels were 20" x 8.5"). No lift, no spacers, and no clearance problems.

Rock Sliders3.jpg

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone's interested, here's a shot of my D5 with 285/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on 20" x 9.5" Redbourne wheels (stock wheels were 20" x 8.5"). No lift, no spacers, and no clearance problems.

View attachment 11526

ar007, I had to ask, was there any back space difference and if any by how much switching from the 8.5" rim to a 9.5" rim? If the 9.5" back space is the same as the 8.5" rim then there is no issues plus you gained having a wider track stance overall times two (each wheel). If the added 1" rim width was split now having a 1/2" more positive (inboard) with the other 1/2" now a wider (outboard) stance vs rim to body.......~~=o&o>........

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Purchased a 2018 lr5 a few weeks back for wife and fam.
I just ordered Johnson rods and 30mm spacers from lucky-8.
Any issues or draw backs? Been looking for pics of other lr5 with spacers, I don’t seem to find many...
*lift/loft lol
Cheers

Lucky-8 sells Terrafirma 30mm wheel spacers, do note they are NOT DOT APPROVED for the open road and losted as for OFFROAD ONLY. Depending on how sharp (****) or stupid (Goober) the officer is and state your in it or you can be questioned.

A caution note, Terrafirma proudly state their spacers allow hubcentric centering, check to see that they are to your vehicle and do contact the rim by that hubcentric lip.

After reading they maintained hubcentric centering they bmustbbe good vs Chinese knockoofs having a flat surface no hubcentric lip. Purchased a set of 30mm Terrafirma spacers that were not cheap, missed the "on sale" by 17 minutes and they would nor honor this discounted sale. Should of known as the first red flag warning.

Placed spacers into the rims and saw the hubcentric lip sections (5 of them) only spaced across the gaps in the rims for clearance for the five castings and bolts to secure the axle shaft drive cap to the hub assemblies. Vehicle weight completly on the straight shanks of the lug nuts which are 0.026" to 0.028" smaller diameter. Weight of mounted rim resting on the lug nuts. Combined rim with tyre now in an eccentric orbit causing wheels to be 1.997 ounces out of balance way over the amount you will feel shaking the steering wheel.

You must be better off having a solid hubcentric lip vs what I had to deal with correcting the problem which is now turbine smooth concentric rims to spacers installation. I can hear it now a "F**U" to me being on a 95 Disco and been suckered in on a product listed as "hubcentric"......~~=o&o>.......

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ar007, I had to ask, was there any back space difference and if any by how much switching from the 8.5" rim to a 9.5" rim? If the 9.5" back space is the same as the 8.5" rim then there is no issues plus you gained having a wider track stance overall times two (each wheel). If the added 1" rim width was split now having a 1/2" more positive (inboard) with the other 1/2" now a wider (outboard) stance vs rim to body.......~~=o&o>........

Not sure what the back space is on the stock rims (I suppose I could go out and measure since all 5 stock wheels with tires still mounted are stacked in my garage) but the Redbourne wheel back spacing is 6.5." redbournewheels.com makes aftermarket wheels exclusively for Land Rover vehicles and their fitment guide and wheel configurator allow you to see which wheels fit and what they will look like on your vehicle (including your vehicle paint color).

Reaction score
the spacers are for appearance, really nothing more... purchased terrafirma since they appear to be a popular choice... Did I understand Beemernut correctly, are there fitting issues with the spacers? specifically terrariums tf303?
I have used spacers extensively, with many types of vehicles... all are a tight fit when convcentric..
I am assuming terrafirma will be the same.

cheers

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA