Journey of Discovery - LR4 specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThePecker

Reaction score
Looks like it was prepped by Devon 4x4, considering the internal winch mount and sump guard. Lamps look like Hella 4000i xenon compacts but don't have the red bezel...

Surprising that they used aftermarket stuff and not OEM, really reassuring haha. I don't know what tires, sorry. Everything else looks genuine though.

Not to get too picky but how are there four 1,000,000th discos? Someone needs to get in there and change it to 1,000,001, 1,000,002 etc..

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
After seeing this thread earlier today, I emailed Todd Jensen, editor-in-chief of roverguide.com, who's blog LR4TQ referenced in the first post. He responded within a few hours. It went like this:

Spalding:

Dear Sir,
Several of us over at the LandRoverWorld.org LR4 forum are following the
Journey of Discovery Expedition blog with great interest. We are wondering
how the vehicles are equipped beyond stock - tires, roof rack, lighting,
communications, recovery equipment, etc.. Can you share?

Todd A. Jensen:
I've asked Land Rover's PR department for vehicle specs and team member bios
but have not heard back. I'll try again this week. There has been a lot of
interest in the vehicle details, but not a whole lot of info.

About all I know so far is that the tires are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
255/55R19 mounted on the standard HSE LUX 10-spoke wheels. The roof rack
looks like Land Rover's Expedition Rack as previously used on the G4 LR3s.

We're hoping Land Rover publishes a book that details the expedition and/or
a full-length documentary. According to the most recent press release they
shot 17,500 photos and 80 hours of video.​

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing this thread earlier today, I emailed Todd Jensen, editor-in-chief of roverguide.com, who's blog LR4TQ referenced in the first post. He responded within a few hours. It went like this:

Spalding:

Dear Sir,
Several of us over at the LandRoverWorld.org LR4 forum are following the
Journey of Discovery Expedition blog with great interest. We are wondering
how the vehicles are equipped beyond stock - tires, roof rack, lighting,
communications, recovery equipment, etc.. Can you share?

Todd A. Jensen:
I've asked Land Rover's PR department for vehicle specs and team member bios
but have not heard back. I'll try again this week. There has been a lot of
interest in the vehicle details, but not a whole lot of info.

About all I know so far is that the tires are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
255/55R19 mounted on the standard HSE LUX 10-spoke wheels. The roof rack
looks like Land Rover's Expedition Rack as previously used on the G4 LR3s.

We're hoping Land Rover publishes a book that details the expedition and/or
a full-length documentary. According to the most recent press release they
shot 17,500 photos and 80 hours of video.​
Thanks, CaptainSpalding... That's very cool.

I wish we had the option of the Goodyear Wranger Duratrac in 255/55/R19 - haha! :)

Screw the "Limited Edition" LR4, I'd love to see an Expedition or G4 version that is outfitted similar to the LR4s that went on this amazing journey.

I vote for the documentary!

-David

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wish we had the option of the Goodyear Wranger Duratrac in 255/55/R19 - haha! :)

Screw the "Limited Edition" LR4, I'd love to see an Expedition or G4 version that is outfitted similar to the LR4s that went on this amazing journey.

-David

I'll second that! If Land Rover was to release a "Expedition Edition" LR4, very similar to the ones used in the trek to Bejing, I'd leave my desk right now and would be at the dealership placing an order.

They need to get away from special edition mall crawlers and get back to their roots. Purpose built, luxury off-road vehicles.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll second that! If Land Rover was to release a "Expedition Edition" LR4, very similar to the ones used in the trek to Bejing, I'd leave my desk right now and would be at the dealership placing an order.

They need to get away from special edition mall crawlers and get back to their roots. Purpose built, luxury off-road vehicles.
Hey EIGHTLUG,

I agree! Even if they still had the special edition vehicles, but also had an option of an Expedition outfitted LR4, that would be awesome. I guess Land Rover has to cater to those who buy their vehicles. I really have no idea how many owners actually use them for more than a "mall crawler" (at least here in the US market).

We can always dream.

-David

ThePecker

Reaction score

-David

Are the cooper's not good enough?? :laugh:

I second an expedition version, though I'd be really ****** because I just bought a MY2012 and have been dumping money into it since.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the cooper's not good enough?? :laugh:

I second an expedition version, though I'd be really ****** because I just bought a MY2012 and have been dumping money into it since.
Haha! :) I thought you would chime in about the Coopers. I was just ******** about our lack of options - haha! So far I LOVE the Coopers on-road and the look is great.

I can't wait to try them out off-road.

Have you decided to sell your Pirellis and get the Coopers? ;-)

Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about dumping money into the truck - LOL!

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I guess Land Rover has to cater to those who buy their vehicles. I really have no idea how many owners actually use them for more than a "mall crawler" (at least here in the US market).
Um — let's be clear on this. Land Rover abandoned the off-roader, not vice-versa.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635