Just Sharing My Pain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trusty LR3, with over 123k miles, and three Great Divide trips, blew head gaskets a couple of weekends ago in the mountains of Big Bear. Not sure what caused the gaskets to blow, but major overheating. My friends had to pull me down the mountain. AAA (thank goodness for Premier membership) towed me on flatbed for 130 mile ride home. Heads weren't warped, thank goodness, and there was some fear that the 3mm warp in the top of the block was out of spec. But thankfully, it will work. They have to replace 7 valves, which have some slight leakage, and of course, the whole engine will have to be flushed. I hope to get it back late next week. Of course, out of warranty, so this is out of pocket. Dealer (JLRMV) is giving me a discount thankfully, but will probably be around $4,500 or so.

Didn't have a clue until I smelled coolant on the trail, then saw steam and blown upper radiator hose. Hopefully, will be back on the trail soon. Dealer says they have only seen one other blown head on an LR3. Miss my truck!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks huge balls. Sorry to hear of it, man...

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea why it blew in the first place? Was a bad hose, bad head gasket, something else?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the sympathy :). Not sure what happened. When I opened the hood, there was a blown hose, but the dealer and I are theorizing that the thermostat didn't open, causing the block to overheat, then blow gaskets, then blow radiator hose. Dealer said that stats usually freeze open, but occasionally they have seen them frozen closed. T'stat is very easy to replace...three screws. Thinking now that it should have been replaced around 100k miles.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your truck! Was kinda nice to hear that you have 123K on it though, im always worried that im going to have a junker at 100K and at the rate i drive it will be quick! (37,000 miles last year alone!) ANYWAYS.....

About three months ago i had an Engine light turn on so I took mine to the Dealer and they diagnosed it and it was a stuck open thermostat. They replaced it under warranty and the light never came back on. I was thinking you would of had a light on if it was something with the thermostat. I didnt understand how a silly stuck open thermostat could cause an engine light but from what my service manager explained, that if the coolant is consistently at the wrong temp the sensor will sense that there is a problem with the cooling system which they have to diagnose by of course plugging it in and checking some stuff out.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer identified a potential bad thermostat a couple weeks ago when it was in. It is still under warranty so they went ahead and replaced it for me as part of the preventative service. Bedford Land Rover of Bedford, NH have been great! Anyway, glad that they noted this but if it's and easily replaced part perhaps it should be part of our owner repertoire to check and replace like any other car. So, thanks for the good knowledge and sorry to hear about your LR. But at least it didn't **** it!

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMGosh

My trusty LR3, with over 123k miles, and three Great Divide trips, blew head gaskets a couple of weekends ago in the mountains of Big Bear. Not sure what caused the gaskets to blow, but major overheating. My friends had to pull me down the mountain. AAA (thank goodness for Premier membership) towed me on flatbed for 130 mile ride home. Heads weren't warped, thank goodness, and there was some fear that the 3mm warp in the top of the block was out of spec. But thankfully, it will work. They have to replace 7 valves, which have some slight leakage, and of course, the whole engine will have to be flushed. I hope to get it back late next week. Of course, out of warranty, so this is out of pocket. Dealer (JLRMV) is giving me a discount thankfully, but will probably be around $4,500 or so.

Didn't have a clue until I smelled coolant on the trail, then saw steam and blown upper radiator hose. Hopefully, will be back on the trail soon. Dealer says they have only seen one other blown head on an LR3. Miss my truck!

Jim,

Man that sux to hear but glad you mentioned it cuz every once in awhile I smell slight coolant odors but ZERO leaks and my coolant seems fine, but after reading this maybe I should look a bit closer. Just had recent 60k done but no major cooling issues noted so can you suggest anything I might investigate >>>> just incase!?

racehorse

Reaction score
Jim, that blows.

Let me know if you need a lift to LRMV - I'm in San Juan so I'm close to you...mike coronado/sclr

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Jim, hope you got a good surf in that day to set you right again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM