K & N Filter increases mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend, when I drove highway, millage came out 17.8mpg (manual calculation). Since I am doing long distance a lot, I am thinking about replacing filter to K&N's.

Does anybody actually used it and noticed millage difference? I am thinking if I can hit 20mpg, it might worth to spend $50 on it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have consistently gotten 20+ mpg on the interstate between Seattle and Portland. You just have to drive the speed limit, try to dampen any rapid accelerations...and just keep your foot "light" on the throttle.

I've heard on this board that a K&N filter should NOT be used on the LR3.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither a cold air kit or a K&N filter will do more then about a 1/4 MPG increase, the problem is the K&N can and usually will **** your Bosch MAF and at apx $300, it isn't worth it.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N style filters do not filter better then the stock filter. They typically have less surface area (Therefore Shorter life span) and they flow more because the filter isn't capable of stopping the particulates the stock paper filter will. In addition to all of that most K&N filters get over oiled in the newer cars with maf sensors and when this happens the oil residue gums up the maf causing many other problems. Like many other people of said just simply keep up on the maintenance and keep it under 65!! 55-65 is where you will get the best milage I pulled off 20-21mpg at 70 on one tank.
Ryan
05 LR3
Any search you do will find similar results on other cars as well.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad I asked you guys. I will stick to regular air filter. Thank you all.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, lots of misinformation here. You will have many that say don't use a K&N b/c of the MAF sensors, etc. You find the same type of MAF sensor on other cars as well. Every forum I have belonged to seemed to have zealots one way or the other. . .

Don't worry at all about putting a K&N in the LR3. Some of the stuff you read is not factual. The K&N panel for the LR3 is the same size as the original. It is grossly hard to over oil the filter. The LR3 is no more or no less sensitive that any other car with a MAF.

Whomever said that the K&N can and usually will **** your MAF sensor. . . .please, can you provide the official indedpendt study that led you to make this statemen? Good grief. . .

However, you won't get a relativley large MPG bump like you noted however. If it were that easy to get 10% bump in MPG, OEM would have done it long ago.

TRO4

Reaction score
I run a K & N filter on my 06 LR3 V8 and it alone resulted in a .5 mpg increase with everything else being equal. I hate to ruin a good story with facts, but the filters are great and there is nothing to worry about.

Trynian

Reaction score
Never got any noticable increase on any car I ever put them on.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can somebody with a k&n in their rig count the number of pleats in the filter surface. I'd like to compare to a paper filter.
Ryan
05 v8se

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635