Intro and oil type/interval/filter questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe77

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. For this change I have the AC Delco filter and I'll use Mobile 1 5W20. I went through the owners manual to see if they recommended a different oil for colder temps but it's not in there. It can get pretty cold up here so I was considering 0w20 but maybe I'll just go with the 5w20 seeing as the LR will be garage parked most of the time. I've got my Mityvac ready to go and looking forward to not having to crawl under the vehicle to do an oil change for the first time ever.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ck out FCP euro, lifetime warranty. After the first oil change, all others only cost you shipping. I use the package and bottles that come with each new oil change to package up my old oil and return. Cost me $18 for my oil changes.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. For this change I have the AC Delco filter and I'll use Mobile 1 5W20. I went through the owners manual to see if they recommended a different oil for colder temps but it's not in there. It can get pretty cold up here so I was considering 0w20 but maybe I'll just go with the 5w20 seeing as the LR will be garage parked most of the time. I've got my Mityvac ready to go and looking forward to not having to crawl under the vehicle to do an oil change for the first time ever.

You will be fine with 5W-20. I have cold soaked mine at -30 and it started fine. I have no block heater although it is rumoured it is installed just no cord. One day I'll look but since she lives in the garage it is down the list of priorities.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine with 5W-20. I have cold soaked mine at -30 and it started fine. I have no block heater although it is rumoured it is installed just no cord. One day I'll look but since she lives in the garage it is down the list of priorities.
Really? If there was one on the 5.0 where would it be? I didn’t think they had enough space since the engine bay is rather small in these trucks.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canadian deliveries had them but the electrical cord was not CSA (Canadian Standards Approved) so they left it off. Most if not all block heaters take the place of one of the frost plugs on the engine block.

IanSR

Reaction score
Probably late in the day, but when it comes to oil changes and in intervals, speaking from experience living in Taiwan, cars over here are serviced at around 5-6,000 KM.
I've seen plenty of LR2 to LR4 vehicles, and they get serviced at low KMs. Maybe this is one factor why Japanese cars last so long.
Remember, oil is cheap and engines are not.
When I move back to the UK this year, I'll buy a LR Discovery, and stay with low mileage oil changes.. It won't hurt.
Hope it helps.

gillygong

Reaction score
It's a bit of a prejudicial thing, Germany = good, China = bad, right? Just like Japan in the 1970s. I would second getting a mityvac. Makes an oil change a breeze. Don't even need to put work clothes on as it is so quick, and mess free. Also handy for e.g. power steering fluid change. Did mine last weekend. 15 min job.
Can you possibly explain how to change the power steering fluid using the mityvac? I have one and it's incredible for oil changes. I recently needed to rebuild my vacuum pump, so I just extracted the oil into the mityvac, worked on the vacuum pump with no oil loss, and then pumped it right back in : )

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you possibly explain how to change the power steering fluid using the mityvac? I have one and it's incredible for oil changes. I recently needed to rebuild my vacuum pump, so I just extracted the oil into the mityvac, worked on the vacuum pump with no oil loss, and then pumped it right back in : )

I didn't do a complete power steering fluid, but I just sucked the fluid out of the reservoir, added new fluid, started car, moved steering wheel back and forth a few times (can't remember if I lifted the front end for this or not) and then sucked more fluid out, rinse and repeat. So this method isn't perfect, but it is the easiest.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bingo. The old Honda method of transmission fluid changes. Do the reservoir suck procedure 3 times and you have most of the old stuff out. Outside of being more visually appealing I am not sure it accomplished anything. (new fluid)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72