Known issues and how to prevent them: The People’s Answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the deal. I just bought my LR4. It had just under 100k miles. I have had the honor and pleasure of bringing it over 100k, and now the “Service Needed” light came on.

I believe this car needs a service at (or around) 105k so mu guess is that THAT’S what this is. In any case, I’m going to take the LR4 to my mechanic.

Here’s where YOU come in. I could look up articles online but I’d rather get feedback from you guys. The real drivers of these beauties.

what should i ask my mechanic to look for at 102k miles?

are there things that are easily missed unless actively looked for?

are there things i need to start considering that maybe aren’t mentioned in the owner’s manual?

In other words, what all can i ask my mechanic to check for so that i can be proactive about avoiding issues with my beautiful LR4?

i’m not a “car guy.” Wasn’t brought up that way. Didn’t have friends who were into it, so unfortunately i have to try to learn all this stuff now, as i go, so i trust all you guys. Thank you. This is such a wonderful community!

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower control arm bushings. Front and rear coolant crossover pipes. Water pump. Supercharger isolator coupler. Supercharger oil change. Pcv valve. transmission pan filter and oil change.

Not knowing what had been done prior I would do all of those thing at that mileage.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2012 HSE lux, so I don't think it has a supercharger. It has the V8 engine instead.

Still, you're not the first to mention the crossover pipes. Are there good aftermarket replacements for these?

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would prefer to see vehicle maintenance history as a beginning. Also, was grandma the previous owner or was it heavily used in urban environments?

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was used in the Houston suburbs. One owner. Less than12k miles as year in Houston is low mileage in this city.

Two mechanics looked at it prior to my buying it and they said it looked good. Still, I imagine that doing a look-over li ok I teether did is different from actively looking for known issues. THAT'S why I posted this here.

You guys are the real knowledgeable individuals with these vehicles. You guys driver m regularly and some of you have been involved in the community for as long time. You guys will have a better idea of what I should be actively looking for. That way I can ask my mechanic to actively look for these things.

I want to be proactive with my maintenance.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2012 HSE lux, so I don't think it has a supercharger. It has the V8 engine instead.

Still, you're not the first to mention the crossover pipes. Are there good aftermarket replacements for these?
Nope. Just OEM. But they will fail eventually. So replacement is wise especially if you are doing other things in there and already have it cracked open.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Just OEM. But they will fail eventually. So replacement is wise especially if you are doing other things in there and already have it cracked open.
Thx for the tip.
The transmission pan filter. Does it need to be replaced or just inspected?

Also, on a website about common problems with this car (article, not a forum), it mentioned engine cooling system as a major problem, and electrical wiring as another.

Any idea as to what that be referring to?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine cooling - water pump and crossovers. Wiring not sure what that would be. Have not heard of any super common with wiring. Although low battery throws some odd codes.
Tranny pan has a built in filter. Have to change it.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my shortlist (ha!)
  • Battery and Tire condition
  • Fluids (both diffs, t-case, transmission filter + fluid + seal (?), brakes, coolant, power steering)
  • Air Filters (cabin)
  • Cambelt and fuel pump belt need changing at 105K miles. May be worth doing oil pump at the same time.
  • water pump should have been replaced at least once by 100K miles
  • coolant crossover pipes - in particular the front one that fails very predictably (but not when you want it to.) Worth doing the front, rear, and water pump and thermostat all at once if they've never been done...cuz they will fail and if you overheat this engine you have a $12K-$25K repair bill.
  • MAF (I don't know much about this)
  • Fuel injector replacement
  • Sunroof drains - clean out so they don't clog and cause issues
  • Electrical: Batt/Alt can need replacing around 8 yrs
  • Spark plugs and wires - check with your mechanic.
  • timing chain, timing chain guides, and tensioner - I've heard mixed information on which model years can be affected - have them verified
  • Suspension: See if you have the Hitachi compressor. It was replaced ultimately with AMK compressors. If it ever fails, get it swapped to AMK.
  • Suspension bushing, lower control arms can get loose
  • Wheels/Brakes/CVs/Axles: wheel hubs for play (bearings tend to need replacing at some point on the LR3/4)
  • Transmission/Torque converter: Check for leaks; replace fluid and filter; ignore LR guidance and follow ZF guidance and do a transmission flush at 75K (LR says it's a "sealed unit" until 150K.
  • Check and review every technical service bulletin for your particular VIN to see if you're affected by any of the gremlins.
  • Buy a Gap IID Tool and check all the ECUs. You can update them yourself if there are issues or the ECU code is way too old. Talk to Gap about which ones to do (if any). They tend to be conservative and say "if it ain't broke, don't fix (i.e. update) it."

Mason Courtney

Reaction score
This is from Alldata for the 105K Service Interval:

Diagnose/Test
Vehicle
Check for open Service Campaigns/Recalls. Conduct road test; select LOW range gears and drive the vehicle 3-4 vehicle lengths, then reselect HIGH range gears.
Inspect
Battery
Check battery condition, fill electrolyte, clean terminals.
Brake Fluid
Check and top-up brake fluid.
Brake Hose/Line
Check hoses, lines, and unions for correct routing and damage
Brakes and Traction Control
Inspect brake pads for wear, calipers for leaks, and discs for condition.
Computers and Control Systems
If fault lamps illuminated, used IDS to find the faults and report.
Coolant
Check coolant level and freeze protection level.
Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints
Check condition, operation of boots and drive axles
Drive Belt
Inspect drive belt(s)
Fluids
Inspect for fluid leaks.
Fuel Supply Line
Lighting and Horns
Check operation of all lights, warning indicators and horn
Parking Brake System
Check operation of electric park brake
Power Steering Fluid
Check / top up power steering fluid levels.
Power Steering Line/Hose
Seat Belt Systems
Check condition and security of seats and seat belts
Steering and Suspension
Check condition, operation of suspension and steering components, boots
Washer Fluid
Check and top-up windshield washer fluid.
Wiper and Washer Systems
Check operation front/rear wiper washer systems. Check condition of wiper blades.
Lubricate
Wheels
Lubricate wheel centers.
Replace
Cabin Air Filter / Purifier
Replace pollen filter.
Engine Oil
Oil Filter, Engine
Spark Plug
Reset
Oil Level Warning Indicator
Service Reminder Indicators
Rotate
Tires
Check all tire pressures, condition and tread depth. Install road wheels to opposite side of vehicle. (except uni-directional tires which install on the same side)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM