Kuat NV Bike Rack (hitch mount) on LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4ers,

I decided to take the plunge and buy a hitch-mount bike rack for the LR4 last month. After spending countless hours searching online for the right one, I decided to purchase the KUAT NV 2-bike hitch-mount. I really wanted a bike rack that 1) looked good, and 2) was built like a tank. The Kuat NV delivered!

I highly recommend this rack. It is easy to use, super solid, and looks really good. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 139

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paid $495 with free shipping from Amazon. One can buy an additional "two bike" extender to provider a 4-bike solution for $335 more...

-B

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one last year with the 2-bike extension. I love it too. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find me talking about it in several posts, I think. Just be careful not to over-tighten the hand-screw expansion bolt in the hitch receiver, or you'll shear the bolt in half (like I did last summer). The good news is that Kuat mailed me a free replacement right away. Excellent product and excellent customer service.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the new Kuat rack. Seems well built and full of features. I really like the idea of having a quick repair stand built in.

I have a Thule T2 rack with the extension for two additional bikes. I've had it for about 7 years now and I just can't find fault in it to justify buying a new rack. The T2 is well built if not a bit heavy. Here is a pic on the back of my LR4 and another on my Suzuki:

CIMG0015-1.jpg

CIMG0028.jpg

Rob

rewillia

Reaction score
LR4ers,

I decided to take the plunge and buy a hitch-mount bike rack for the LR4 last month. After spending countless hours searching online for the right one, I decided to purchase the KUAT NV 2-bike hitch-mount. I really wanted a bike rack that 1) looked good, and 2) was built like a tank. The Kuat NV delivered!

I highly recommend this rack. It is easy to use, super solid, and looks really good. Here are some pics:

94Speedster, I realize this is a dated with respect to when you posted your thread and photos of your new Kuat NV bike carrier on your LR3/4. I just ordered the same rack for my 06 LR3 and now am wondering if its gonna work as I have the British Pacific Rear Spare Tire mount installed on my rear bumper. As such, my spare tire is mounted on the rear above the bumper to the right hand side and I suspect that the bike rack will still work fine but wanted to as you.......when you're rack is in the closed position (folded up right) what would you say is the distance between the rear of your bumper and rack? I' hoping I wont need an extension and can get and will have enough clearance as my tire extends beyond the bumper by appx 5 inches.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How heavy is this bike rack? I'm a petite 5' and 110 lbs. Do you think I would be able to put the rack on/off by myself? Also, are you able to open the top half of the trunk hatch with the rack folded up?

I stopped by REI today and picked up the Thule APEX swing 4 bike rack, but that one is pretty heavy too. So just trying to decide if I should keep that one or go with something like this. I was leaning towards the swing rack so that I can access the trunk with the bikes on.

Last edited:

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're talking bike racks, I'm using the Yakima Swingdaddy. It can fit 4 road bikes, but it's definitely a tight fit when there's 4 on there. The top half of the hatch can't quite clear the rack with it locked in its normal position, but I guess that's where the swing-away option works well.

IMAG0911_zpse210ddc5.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM