Kuat NV Bike Rack (hitch mount) on LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the yakima hold-up. You can configure to hold 4 bikes.

Holds my bikes firmly and no rattles from the rack when empty. Look on craigslist for a used one.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 1UpUSA and it worked great with our LR4. But it was only the single bike model (which when stowed/folded up allowed me to lower the tailgate without interference which was a big plus for me as I could leave it on most of the Summer.) I had a single bike extension for when I would be carrying my wife's bike. So I can't really speak to how well it supports 4 bikes.

What I did like was the fact that I could install it and store it in "pieces". The full-on 4-bike carriers (I had a Thule for a number of years) are a beast to carry around. At least for me.

I also liked that as you add on the extra capacity, the additional ones sort of sit a bit higher, therefore angling up. Bike racks of course destroy your departure angles but the way the extensions sat a bit higher maybe helps a bit over the one-piece, 4-way models.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
The more I think about it the more I like 1upUSA.

Danrhiggins, how was the set up on your LR4 with an extension for extra bike.
Any pictures? What color was your rack?
Since most of the time I will have my wife's and my bike I may just order heavy duty double bicycle rack and add 2 extensions later. I can still fit my kids bikes into the trunk.

Dan, have fun with your LC.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
The more I think about it the more I like 1upUSA.

Danrhiggins, how was the set up on your LR4 with an extension for extra bike.
Any pictures? What color was your rack?
Since most of the time I will have my wife's and my bike I may just order heavy duty double bicycle rack and add 2 extensions later. I can still fit my kids bikes into the trunk.

Dan, have fun with your LC.

The extension worked out great. Not that hard to add/remove. There are 2 bolts that you tighten/loosen with a unique "allen wrench like" tool which also provides a degree of security as you need the tool to remove the rack from the trailer hitch receiver and to install/remove the add ons for extra bikes.

I had the silver/aluminum version as I originally purchased it when we had a white vehicle. Black would have looked better on our bronze LR4. (So with the LC I decided to go back to white so it would match the bike rack. :smile:)

Here are some pics. I don't know how well it would work to lower the rack as I have done in a couple of these pics with multiple bikes. You couple probably drop it enough to open the upper part of the tailgate but I'm not sure on the lower tailgate as I have done in these pics.

In these pictures I am using the OEM LR hitch receiver.

I found the 1UP to be very easy for loading and unloading. As you likely have seen, there are two braces/holders/supports/whatchamcallits that raise up and over the front and rear tire. I would release one end and roll the bike out while the other brace remains in place. After my ride I would just lift it up and slip it into that brace and then lock it in with the other one. I used a bike lock extension cable with our bike lock and ran it through the recover ring on the LR4 and then ran that through whatever bike lock I was using.

I also sprayed a bit of lubricant on the handle that releases/locks the angle of the bike rack so that it operated very smoothly. It is a breeze to stow it in the up position when not loaded and to lower it back down to carrying position or to the position you see in the pics. Though when doing what I show in the pictures, you will need to support the weight of the bikes by simple letting the bikes lean against your shoulder as you lower them down.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 67

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 1up with 2 extensions for a 4 bike setup. I'd probably avoid getting the "heavy duty" unless you really know you need it. The regular seems very sturdy already and is also plenty heavy to get on/off the hitch at around 75 pounds in 4 bike mode.

My only beef, and this is more of an LR4 issue than a 1UP issue, is that the hitch mount on the LR4 is so low that I don't have as much clearance as I would like on the departure angle, particularly with 4 bikes. No problem for regular roads and well graded roads, but if you head off-road as we do sometimes it is a factor. It's probably solvable with a 6" hitch extension to raise it up.

I carried 3 mountain bikes, a large and heavy 2 kid Weehoo trailer, and 2 kids bikes on it for a 500 mile trip through Utah with no problems. It can take the weight.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 1up with 2 extensions for a 4 bike setup. I'd probably avoid getting the "heavy duty" unless you really know you need it. The regular seems very sturdy already and is also plenty heavy to get on/off the hitch at around 75 pounds in 4 bike mode.

My only beef, and this is more of an LR4 issue than a 1UP issue, is that the hitch mount on the LR4 is so low that I don't have as much clearance as I would like on the departure angle, particularly with 4 bikes. No problem for regular roads and well graded roads, but if you head off-road as we do sometimes it is a factor. It's probably solvable with a 6" hitch extension to raise it up.

I carried 3 mountain bikes, a large and heavy 2 kid Weehoo trailer, and 2 kids bikes on it for a 500 mile trip through Utah with no problems. It can take the weight.

Wow! That's a serious load. I can see how the LR4 receiver with the 4-bike configuration could be an issue off road. Or on a steep driveway. Our 2-bike configuration was never an issue but the 4-bike is definitely longer. I would think that would be an issue with any 4-bike rack on the LR4 receiver. I don't believe our old Thule 4-bike rack had any noticeable lift to it.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you mean "super duty" ? The "heavy duty" with 2 inch receiver double bicycle rack takes regular attachments. It is rated up to 4 bikes. The super duty 2'' receiver may be a single or double rack and is rated up to 3 bikes( single) or 4 bikes( double). It takes only super duty attachment.
I want to go with 2'' fixed mount. I heard that it is more sturdy than 1 1/4 with 2'' adapter. I just noticed that 1 1/4 with 2 " adapter can take only 3 bikes.
The question is - heavy duty or super duty. The difference in weight is minimal 1lb as for a double racks and 1/2 lb for extra attachments.

Thanks all of you for great info.

Last edited:

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes I think you are right, heavy is normal and super is the extra. I would go with the standard 2" fixed rather than an adapter unless I had a 2nd car with the smaller mount. Unless you are carrying four extra heavy bikes, like 50lb downhill mountain bikes, I don't see a need for super duty. Always load the heaviest bikes towards the truck of course. I've carried 4 mountain bikes with no problems at all.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, just noticed a "Hitch Rack Shootout" on Expedition Portal.
http://expeditionportal.com/hitch-rack-shootout/

The author reviews offerings from Thule, Kuat, Yakima and 1Up.

His choice is 1Up but he does admit that (like me) he often rides alone so the 1Up appeals to him as he can configure it for a single bike. Of course he also has other commentary and (in his view) pros and cons for each rack.

One of his comments pointed out another thing I like about the 1Up - the longer "trays" for the bike wheels. A couple of the other options have a curved tray for the bike wheels that lock the bike in a very specific position. Though you may have some ability to adjust the position of the tray on the support bar (that's what I did with my old Thule) that is still cumbersome. With the 1Up there is easily enough room to roll a bike forward or backward so as to better align handlebars and seats when loading multiple bikes.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great review on expedition portal. Thanks for the link.
It looks like I am going to order 2" Double, Super Duty Quik Rack (Black) and hitch bar lock for the rack.
I was thinking about 2'' double, heavy duty (= regular) but a difference in weight is almost nothing. At this price range $30 makes no difference. I am going to add additional 2 trays in the future once my kids will need bigger bikes.
Thanks again for help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99