L319 vs. L462...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The L405 has grown on me--to the point where it's currently the only new Land Rover that I would buy--but the L322 was such a phenomenal design, and I think it's because it drew so much inspiration from the Range Rover Classic.

It's funny how the Cullinan looks more like a Range Rover than a Range Rover Sport or any other vehicle in their line-up outside of the L405.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The L405 has grown on me--to the point where it's currently the only new Land Rover that I would buy--but the L322 was such a phenomenal design, and I think it's because it drew so much inspiration from the Range Rover Classic.

Totally agree. I disliked the 405 when I first saw, all the angles are way to exaggerated a bit to much for my taste, but as time goes on, I find it a bit more acceptable, but not to the point where I would own one. The L322 IMHO is by far the best looking SUV ever made. I will keep both my 1995 Classic and my 2005 L322.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about D5 capabilities, I'd like to see the following numbers:

Ground clearance
Angles (app, depp, b/o)
Wheel travel (front and rear)
Crawl ratio x torque@1000 RPMs

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about D5 capabilities, I'd like to see the following numbers:

Ground clearance
Angles (app, depp, b/o)
Wheel travel (front and rear)
Crawl ratio x torque@1000 RPMs
  • Ground Clearance: 11.1 inches
  • Fording Depth: 35 inches
  • Off-Road Angles: 34° approach / 28° breakover / 30° departure
  • The 2.93 low range provides a 51.5:1 crawl ratio when combined with the 4.7 First gear in the ZF tranny, allowing the Discovery to creep along anywhere the vehicle physically fits

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fording depth is better. Ground Clearance is about the same in off-road height....angles are about the same....that crawl ratio, they increased it? The LR3 has a 45.6:1 crawl ratio with the same 2.93 low range. Wheel travel?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fording depth is better. Ground Clearance is about the same in off-road height....angles are about the same....that crawl ratio, they increased it? The LR3 has a 45.6:1 crawl ratio with the same 2.93 low range. Wheel travel?

https://expeditionportal.com/the-land-rover-discovery-5-off-road/

Assuming Expedition Portal is correct: "At 20 inches of total wheel travel, it was at a 3.6-inch disadvantage compared to its predecessor the LR4, and I wondered how that would affect its performance."

I assume they're adding front + rear wheel travel to get a total wheel travel figure ? I don't think there's two feet of articulation at any one wheel.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your assumption adds up (no pun intended). Sounds to me like each platform has its advantages and disadvantages.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://expeditionportal.com/the-land-rover-discovery-5-off-road/

Assuming Expedition Portal is correct: "At 20 inches of total wheel travel, it was at a 3.6-inch disadvantage compared to its predecessor the LR4, and I wondered how that would affect its performance."

I assume they're adding front + rear wheel travel to get a total wheel travel figure ? I don't think there's two feet of articulation at any one wheel.

Yeah I recall the lr3 having about 13" rear wheel range and 10.6 sounds about right for the front.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that Crawl Ratio is nice on the D5, the LR3 is already low enough...wheel travel then, may be the more important criterion. Hence, LR3 is victorious as the superior "Bench Wheeler." Plus it has a frame and looks way better!

Hahahahaha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV