Land Rover Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I finally cashed in my 2-hour free lesson and took my dad (my parents are visiting from Boston) to the Land Rover Experience school in Carmel, CA. It was awesome! I highly recommend the 2-hour lesson - especially since many of you got a certificate for a free lesson when you bought your LR4. I let my dad do all the driving, but we went through some pretty tough terrain and mud. It's been raining a lot here in N. CA, so the trails were full of mud and puddles. I was a bit surprised to see the stock Contis (4x4Contact - 255/55/R19s) on the LR4 and it did great.

Lots of fun - especially if you live pretty close to one of the schools.

-David

marijono

Reaction score
I shared your experience this past weekend as well. I took my family to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC for the LR Experience. We were impressed. Highly recommended Ray, our instructor. He is very patient, attentive in details, well grounded, professional and FUNtastic as well. I let my wife drove first before her stomach feels queasy and she never been off-road before. It was raining the night before and in the morning before our drive. So the courses were perfect. We went through muds, ruts, learn how to properly slide the vehicle, went over logs, ascent and descent 45 degrees hills, going side ways, wade about 0.6m deep river/water, and we even learned the extra feature of LR4 when you're high-centered :)
We piled up 6 people into LR4 (4 adult including Ray, a 7 and a 9 yo are in the back). Highly recommended experience!

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is all this done in your own LR4 or do they supplyy the vehicle?

marijono

Reaction score
They supplied the vehicle. In our case, we could have have the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport or LR4. Since we came with 5 people (6 with instructor), we had to take the LR4.
It gave us more respect on what LR4 is capable of and how abundant the power is for a "light" vehicle like LR4.
BTW, you got a framed certificate for each driver too ;-)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is all this done in your own LR4 or do they supplyy the vehicle?
Hey George,

It is exactly as marijono describes! You use their vehicles and they supply an instructor. The lesson is for 2-hours and they allow more than one driver. It is very well-done and pretty amazing to take the time and see what our LR4s can do! I have been off-roading a few times and learned a lot on my own and with fellow LR club members, but I learned a lot during this lesson.

I have heard great things about the school up in Vermont - you should take the wife and kids and make it a weekend trip!

It's definitely worth the time - lots of fun!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey George,

It is exactly as marijono describes! You use their vehicles and they supply an instructor. The lesson is for 2-hours and they allow more than one driver. It is very well-done and pretty amazing to take the time and see what our LR4s can do! I have been off-roading a few times and learned a lot on my own and with fellow LR club members, but I learned a lot during this lesson.

I have heard great things about the school up in Vermont - you should take the wife and kids and make it a weekend trip!

It's definitely worth the time - lots of fun!

-David

Hi David,
I am thinking of doing it next year. They have a 2 day event also. I will look into that.
George

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,
I am thinking of doing it next year. They have a 2 day event also. I will look into that.
George
Hey George,

Yes, they also sponsor a number of other owner events and other Land Rover training. The only thing about the 2 day event is that you often use your own vehicle. If you want to have some fun off-roading, learn a lot, and get their LR4 dirty, then the free 2-hour lesson is awesome. I likely won't go back for other events, except for many an owner's event once, as they charge a HUGE amount! I know that the school near me allows you to go off-roading on your own, but it's like over $1,000 for the day.

Good luck!

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey George,

Yes, they also sponsor a number of other owner events and other Land Rover training. The only thing about the 2 day event is that you often use your own vehicle. If you want to have some fun off-roading, learn a lot, and get their LR4 dirty, then the free 2-hour lesson is awesome. I likely won't go back for other events, except for many an owner's event once, as they charge a HUGE amount! I know that the school near me allows you to go off-roading on your own, but it's like over $1,000 for the day.

Good luck!

-David

I never got a voucher for a free 2 hour lesson when I got my LR4!!!

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never got a voucher for a free 2 hour lesson when I got my LR4!!!
George,

I'd say it took me about 6 months to get it? I would definitely call LRNA and ask them for one if you don't get it soon. I know someone who also did not get it and they called LRNA and they sent them the certificate. I think your dealership fills something out or something when you originally buy it, but sometimes they might forget.

It's worth it - get it.

-David

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it took me about 6 months to get it? I would definitely call LRNA and ask them for one if you don't get it soon. I know someone who also did not get it and they called LRNA and they sent them the certificate. I think your dealership fills something out or something when you originally buy it, but sometimes they might forget.
Good to know. I never got one either. Took delivery Oct 2010. Wonder if it's too late now. And there's no school near me, though last year we went on vacation driving up the Cali coast, so could have done it then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99