Land Rover Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marijono

Reaction score
I never got a voucher for a free 2 hour lesson when I got my LR4!!!

You definitely need to call LRNA. We took delivery of our 2012 in last week of Nov, and got our voucher in mid-Jan 2012. Well worth the effort/time!

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
It's interesting. I had the Land Rover Experience at Quail Lodge and was unimpressed. My trip involved a lot of hand holding over modest obstacles and getting the truck into some situations for photo ops. You see what the capabilities of the truck are, but there was very little actual education involved. Maybe the program has evolved somewhat.

For those wanting to know their stuff, I recommend Harald Pietschmann at 4x4abc.com. Use his truck and learn how to drive in places where you would never dare take your LR4. But having taken his course, you will know where you can take your LR4 and where you can't. You will absolutely know how to wring every drop of capability out of your truck. This is the course I took.

Here's a photo of me soiling myself while driving one of Harald's trucks on the Rubicon.

RBCN_068.jpg

David, it's in your neighborhood. . .

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's interesting. I had the Land Rover Experience at Quail Lodge and was unimpressed. My trip involved a lot of hand holding over modest obstacles and getting the truck into some situations for photo ops. You see what the capabilities of the truck are, but there was very little actual education involved. Maybe the program has evolved somewhat.

For those wanting to know their stuff, I recommend Harald Pietschmann at 4x4abc.com. Use his truck and learn how to drive in places where you would never dare take your LR4. But having taken his course, you will know where you can take your LR4 and where you can't. You will absolutely know how to wring every drop of capability out of your truck. This is the course I took.

Here's a photo of me soiling myself while driving one of Harald's trucks on the Rubicon.

RBCN_068.jpg

David, it's in your neighborhood. . .
Hey CaptainSpalding,

Thanks for the message. Wow - that seems like a great 4x4 training school. I might be a bad judge of the Land Rover Experience driving school because I don't consider myself a ********* off-roading guy. Hehe! It seemed to be pretty good terrain and the instructor was great. Though, maybe to an advanced off-roader it might have been weak.

Where do you live again? Do you ever go to Hollister Hills?

-David

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
. . . It seemed to be pretty good terrain and the instructor was great. Though, maybe to an advanced off-roader it might have been weak.
I don't know about being an "advanced off-roader." A few moments before that photo was taken, I had my left hand wrapped around the tube door and was hanging on for dear life. Harald, the instructor, walked up along side and said, very matter-of-factly and in a voice low enough that my fellow students wouldn't hear, " You know, when you hang on to the door like that, it makes it look like you're scared." My reply was "Damned right I'm scared!"

Seriously, taking a course like that is all about learning to get you and your truck from point A to point B, and then back to A, without screwing up your truck. I'm not about pitting my truck against the trail, nor am I one who feels that a little trail rash is all part of the fun. For me it's all about getting a little further off the beaten track. :smile:

I live in southern California. I've never been to Hollister, but I've always wanted to go.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about being an "advanced off-roader." A few moments before that photo was taken, I had my left hand wrapped around the tube door and was hanging on for dear life. Harald, the instructor, walked up along side and said, very matter-of-factly and in a voice low enough that my fellow students wouldn't hear, " You know, when you hang on to the door like that, it makes it look like you're scared." My reply was "Damned right I'm scared!"

Seriously, taking a course like that is all about learning to get you and your truck from point A to point B, and then back to A, without screwing up your truck. I'm not about pitting my truck against the trail, nor am I one who feels that a little trail rash is all part of the fun. For me it's all about getting a little further off the beaten track. :smile:

I live in southern California. I've never been to Hollister, but I've always wanted to go.
I agree completely! The last thing I want to do is ruin my truck.... I have almost an OCD fear of breaking down or blowing out a tire, etc. Even though it can be fixed, it's still my fear. Hollister is a great place because it is also pretty relaxing and good for a picnic. There are trails and obstacle courses where you can be nuts, but also mild/moderate fire roads and some fun. I tend to stick to the green (baby) and blue (moderate) trails. There are black diamond trails but I avoid them like crazy.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post about this. Two weeks ago I did a two-day class at the Experience driving school in Carmel. Had an unbelievably good time and learned a lot about what the LR4 can (and can't) do. Day one was spent on-prem, learning the basics and still trying some fun obstacles. For Day two we went off-prem, to Hollister Hills, and put what I learned in day one to the test. Hollister was awesome, the highlight being Truck Hill for sure. My instructor made sure we ended on it.

Speaking of whom, Phil (my instructor) was quite knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with for two days. We not only covered the LR4, but we reviewed basic recovery technique, what to do in situations we couldn't possibly replicate on the trails we were on, and basics of better driving that I've since been practicing in my day to day driving (in my two-door coupe nonetheless).

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It's not cheap, but I did get a discount for my recent purchase of an LR4. I recommend it if you have the time and desire. In total, I spent over 12 hours off-roading with an expert, giving me the confidence to take my extremely expensive new vehicle (whenever it arrives) out on the trails.

Unfortunately, it didn't do much for my patience. ;) If I couldn't wait for my LR4 to arrive before this, well.....

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What types of things did you find out the LR4 can't do?

I am going to be crashing a jeep event in a couple weeks. All Iowa Jeep Show... they will have an offroad coarse and all sorts of fun things. I tested out the johnson rods today, i think ill use them for that event.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What types of things did you find out the LR4 can't do?
Just things like certain trails which the LR4 shouldn't go on (ruts deep enough to lead to on the underside - even in extended height, passages narrow enough to scrape/puncture the sidewalls, etc.), certain approach angles that will lead to problems, speed as a function of dealing with the departure angle, overall speed while off-roading with the LR4. Stuff like that.

Possibly very basic stuff, but it was good for someone of my level. :)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just things like certain trails which the LR4 shouldn't go on (ruts deep enough to lead to on the underside - even in extended height, passages narrow enough to scrape/puncture the sidewalls, etc.), certain approach angles that will lead to problems, speed as a function of dealing with the departure angle, overall speed while off-roading with the LR4. Stuff like that.

Possibly very basic stuff, but it was good for someone of my level. :)

Cool. ya, I have read that modern rovers definitely can not handle big rocks just due to clearance issues. however since we have IFS we do get by on some things that other solid axles vehicles get into trouble with. Its a hard thing to evaluate. I think once I start doing some longer trips and things you might consider real overlanding (like 1+ month trips where I try to stay in remote locations) I will want to have enough armor so that it can at least handle some bumps.

I've also read about the weak points in the IFS. Have to be careful about the CVs if you have it raised up and spin a wheel or have the steering at high angles. That might be something worth having spares for. I want to practice changing out CVs at some point so I can be sure of what tools ill need to pack.

Long ways off before I do that I think. I'm hoping to attend a big off road/jeep even in a week or so. I want to pay some attention to how the LR4 does on the test course and trails compared to the awesome jeeps that will be there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99