Land Rovers Suck!! Hear me out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Dameron

Reaction score
I don't mean to be a skeptic but...2.5 miles, pipe cracked, low coolant warning, and two cracked cylinders? My timing change exploded on a dodge once but all it did was smash some valves even though it had no oil and was overheating. It just seems a little questionable.
I was driving it HAHA!!! You can question all you want but the Y pipe not only was broke off at the 2 inlets, it was split in the seams. These engines are junk! You know it, Ford knows it, and TaTa knows it...

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough, the composite (plastic) intake manifolds on Fords 4.6 modular engines had massive problems in the early 2000's. I had one that the manifold started spewing coolant on a hot day (104 degrees) and Ford had a TSB on it that covered it to 100K miles. I think this using composites is fine in areas that are not prone to severe heat. An engine just isn't one of them. They mold the plastics so it can fit in odd shapes, and thus nobody can get aftermarket pieces that fit. Maybe 3D printing will be the future answer. print your replacement parts at home....

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this all relates back to the original y pipe failure not a second one. It sucks but things happen. I had a 6.0L GM V8 in a Pontiac G8 GT fail at 40k kms. The engine was a dud but I wouldn't go so far to bay all SBC (small block chevrolets) are crap.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to personal experience. I've had 80K flawless miles with my 5.0 V8 so I think it's a great engine. Excellent performance in all conditions, including towing a boat. Also, this is a forum to vent about the issues you are dealing with. Nobody posts "another trouble-free day with my LR4".

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBW- Agreed x10. In my experience, if you run ANY liquid cooled engine out of coolant, you have about 30 seconds before bad things start happening. I don't care if it is a Ford, GM, Toyota, or Land Rover.

Does this engine have annoying weak spots? Yes. Can it be a pain in the ass to work on? You bet. Nonetheless, I challenge the OP to drain the coolant out of his Suburban, take it for a 2.5 mile drive, and post the results on the Chevy forums.

I imagine they will be much less constructive than we have been so far.

sonicpix

Reaction score
It all comes down to personal experience. I've had 80K flawless miles with my 5.0 V8 so I think it's a great engine. Excellent performance in all conditions, including towing a boat. Also, this is a forum to vent about the issues you are dealing with. Nobody posts "another trouble-free day with my LR4".

Actually these forums scare me because my problems have not been so huge . The worst I've had was the compressor which I prefaced in my driveway . I have to keep reminding myself of what you just said. 2006 LR3 205000 kms

mize

Reaction score
Same exact issue happen to me and I am now in a serch for a new engine. ******** design and I am worried of it happening again.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every forum is full of people complaining about problems with their vehicles whether its a Ford or whatever. The key is to remember that you're driving one of the best looking, best performing, most capable vehicles with one of the proudest pedigree's still in manufacture. Sure they have issues, I work on mine constantly, but my blood runs green and I would have no other vehicle as my daily driver. Yes I'm on vacation in Florida today and yes I drove my Touareg because it's new but I would be in a Disco 5 if I could afford one even given all the electronic issues I hear about. Land Rover is still the one everyone else looks to as the king of the hill. IMHO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut