latest LR4 comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a recent trip to the doctors office and briefly saw a comparison of the LR4 to other market competitors. I got called back to see the doctor and didn't make note of the magazine. It looked like it had the Acura and a few others. Anyone know what magazine it was or have a link to it?

By the way, I just read a comparison of the LR4 to the new Jeep GC. Nice quick read and of course the LR4 was the clear winner. Looks like Jeep has really narrowed the gap though.

Thanks,

Rob

weingarm

Reaction score
The comparison was on 3-row SUVs, in Car and Driver (March 2011 issue, I believe)

Here's the online link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...nd_rover_lr4_hse_lexus_gx460-comparison_tests

LR4 finished 4th out of 5 trucks, but if you read the points totals they note a pretty small difference between places 1-4 (1st got 202pts - the Audi Q7; 4th got 190pts - the LR4). 5th place (the Lexus GX460) only got 171pts.

Highs on the LR4 were: British persona, formidable off-road credentials, robust V8, tops for towing, third-row seats are actually useful

Lows on the LR4 were: Mystifying high mass, rock 'n' roll responses, thirsty at the pump, interior fit and finish, electronic hiccups.

Verdict on the LR4 was: Capable, powerful, and unique, but still a work in progress.

minazaki

Reaction score
The comparison was on 3-row SUVs, in Car and Driver (March 2011 issue, I believe)

Here's the online link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...nd_rover_lr4_hse_lexus_gx460-comparison_tests

LR4 finished 4th out of 5 trucks, but if you read the points totals they note a pretty small difference between places 1-4 (1st got 202pts - the Audi Q7; 4th got 190pts - the LR4). 5th place (the Lexus GX460) only got 171pts.

Highs on the LR4 were: British persona, formidable off-road credentials, robust V8, tops for towing, third-row seats are actually useful

Lows on the LR4 were: Mystifying high mass, rock 'n' roll responses, thirsty at the pump, interior fit and finish, electronic hiccups.

Verdict on the LR4 was: Capable, powerful, and unique, but still a work in progress.

Hmm, interior fit and finish a low in the LR4? :confused: I've driven every truck in the article with the lone exception of the Lexus GX, and I can honestly say I'd gladly take the interior of my LR4 over the Q7, X5, and MDX.

I suppose I otherwise agree.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here's the online link:

what is mystifying high mass and rock n roll responses?

Gregorio

Reaction score
Hmm, interior fit and finish a low in the LR4? :confused: I've driven every truck in the article with the lone exception of the Lexus GX, and I can honestly say I'd gladly take the interior of my LR4 over the Q7, X5, and MDX.

I suppose I otherwise agree.

I know what you mean. I tested all of them and found the interior of the LR to be well above any of the others. Also agree with the rest of the negatives. Damn thing is HEAVY and THIRSTY! The ride is a bit soft but I am used to driving some very stiff vehicles like my 335ci, X5 and Duramax pickup.

weingarm

Reaction score
what is mystifying high mass and rock n roll responses?

"Mystifying high mass" refers to the LR4's 5600+lb weight which (as we on this forum all know) is a result of its stiff frame, locking differentials, and solid construction - none of which the other competitors in this comparison can claim. By the way, none of the others can claim a 7700lb towing capacity either.

I actually disagree with the "rock n roll responses" comment. I think LR did a great job improving the handling and steering feel in the LR4 vs LR3. It's no track car, but as a 3-row SUV that can do-it-all both on road and off, I think it's the ideal jack of all trades.

All of the competitors are either sporty but lack the 3-row level of practicality of the LR4 (ie BMW X5, Audi Q5) or lack road feel AND practicality (Acura MDX). The Lexus GX lacks road feel, and is just plain ugly inside (hence, the 5th place finish).

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Mystifying high mass" refers to the LR4's 5600+lb weight which (as we on this forum all know) is a result of its stiff frame, locking differentials, and solid construction - none of which the other competitors in this comparison can claim. By the way, none of the others can claim a 7700lb towing capacity either.

I actually disagree with the "rock n roll responses" comment. I think LR did a great job improving the handling and steering feel in the LR4 vs LR3. It's no track car, but as a 3-row SUV that can do-it-all both on road and off, I think it's the ideal jack of all trades.

All of the competitors are either sporty but lack the 3-row level of practicality of the LR4 (ie BMW X5, Audi Q5) or lack road feel AND practicality (Acura MDX). The Lexus GX lacks road feel, and is just plain ugly inside (hence, the 5th place finish).

"Mystifying high mass" is also a result of the US tax code that allows vehicles with a 6000lb+ curb weight to qualify for an accelerated (bonus) depreciation schedule as a small business expense. LR sells a lot of these things because they hit the threshold.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good article... but I personally was only considering off-road capable SUVs, so the only other vehicle on that list that I had considered was the Lexus GX460.

This is more along the lines of the SUVs I looked at:

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_1012_jeep_toyota_land_rover_comparison/index.html

There are 2 parts - part 1 compares the Jeep Grand Cherokee vs the LR4 (LR4 won). The second compares the Grand Cherokee to Toyota 4Runner (Grand Cherokee won).

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah... GX460. I looked at it and my father in law eventually bought it. It's an over priced Toyota 4 runner trying to be a crossover. Useless 3rd row seat, no head room, small windows, useless cargo area, impractical huge side swing cargo door, lack of power, cheap interior trim piece etc... needless to say my in law regrets buying it after owning for 1 summer. Lexus actually managed to make the new 2010 GX460 worse then 2003-2009 GX470.

Jenson

Reaction score
I found that LR4 is quite polarizing, you either really love it or you dont care for it. I for one cannot believe how under appreciated it is, looking at size (big but not huge), power, safety, 3rd row and trunk, luxury, looks, etc. A buddy recently bot a GX460, and I still can't understand why would he do that after seeing my LR4, ie. it seem so obvious to me LR4 is better and cheaper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72