Leather Dash Peeling/Pulling Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
Agreed, I contacted LR USA and started a Claims Case. I should hear from them within 2 business days on process and next steps (if any). I then re-visited the local dealership and had the Service Manager come look at the issue. He was shocked and claims he has never seen this before. I wanted him to see it first hand and document the defect. He did say that if I filed a case with LR USA that he'd be hearing from them as well.
I'm really hoping for a good resolution and trying not to think what I'll have to do if they don't help fix the defect.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is that most people neglect caring for their vehicle and these issues occur. If you do not moisturize your skin it gets dry, brittle and cracks. Leather is no different and in areas with excessive heat you're essentially baking the leather at 100+ temperatures. Caring for your interior and trim pieces is almost as important is routine maintenance. If and when this is resolved my advice would be purchase matte finish leather treatments to avoid issues in the future or for anyone on here that has a leather dash and or extended leather.

cgeags

Reaction score
Thanks! Now that I think about it, I did see that post but my peeling looks a little different from his. My only hope is that it doesn't progress to the state his was in.

I have reached out to Land Rover Customer Care. My feeling is that this is a product defect and not normal wear and tear.

Can you let me know what they say? I have a 2014 with exactly the same issue; they want $4k to fix it. Thanks.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
The sad thing is that most people neglect caring for their vehicle and these issues occur. If you do not moisturize your skin it gets dry, brittle and cracks. Leather is no different and in areas with excessive heat you're essentially baking the leather at 100+ temperatures. Caring for your interior and trim pieces is almost as important is routine maintenance. If and when this is resolved my advice would be purchase matte finish leather treatments to avoid issues in the future or for anyone on here that has a leather dash and or extended leather.

I agree and disagree at the same time. In my case all of the leather looks great with minimal applications of leather treatment throughout the years. I'm not so sure increasing the frequency of moisturizer would have helped this. IMO, the design is flawed and they should have accounted for the heat effect on the leather, or maybe I just got a bad piece of leather, who knows.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I hope LR takes care of you. The dash on my LR3 cracked around the outline of what I assume is the passenger airbag. I just bought and installed the molded dash cover from Coverlay. Looks great and much less expensive than a new dash. The best price was on eBay; only one seller and it looks like it might be the manufacturer. Good luck.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree and disagree at the same time. In my case all of the leather looks great with minimal applications of leather treatment throughout the years. I'm not so sure increasing the frequency of moisturizer would have helped this. IMO, the design is flawed and they should have accounted for the heat effect on the leather, or maybe I just got a bad piece of leather, who knows.

i do not disagree but i am certain that proper care would mitigate the contraction of the leather and warping; outside of that the only other option may be to use uv blocking glass film which reduces heat inside the cabin through the windshield.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are LR4 upper dashes leather? I always thought it was just vinyl made to look like leather, and have treated it as such. Oops.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9