Lifted LR3 ride/handling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not everyone likes to drive around in grandpa stock mode and many more than you prefer to have it lifted full time with the 2.5 inch lift.

One more thing, don't run 32" tires at stock height. Not smart.

LOL. "Grandpa mode". You apparently do not realize that on pavement trips, just about anyone in an LR3 on standard height can out drive (faster) any other LR3 who's stuck on 2.5" taller setting.

Oh, I forgot to remind you, the LLAMS interface allows for MORE lift than your rods provide....

As for not running 32" at stock height, what exactly is not "smart" ? Every situation is different therefor suggesting to never use standard height is just silly. You're really too funny.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JW
Really, I don't mind the guys that like the tool. Just remember what they say... "Overuse use of your tool can lead to blindness" We don't want that to happen.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tool is great for clearing faults but it wont give you as much lift and your lucky to actually get 50 mm (2 inches) based on feedback from users who tell the truth and actually measure it. Not only will it cost more but it has its own problems as an electronic device and is not so perfect. Warning: Seek mechanical help if your lift last longer than 4 hours. God forbid!

You seem to be stuck on the GAP IIDtool. I don't use that for lift. I only use the one that provides about 3" on the fly yet also allows me to 100% more effectively tow 7500 lbs after lowering.

You like to say "some" of us, so fine, SOME of us use the LLAMS interface which makes all of your points above irrelevant. SOME of us use the Land Rover for a wider variety of purposes other than posing it as tall as possible LOL.

Your last bit trying to scare people away from other solutions is not attractive.

Can you not just stick to the positive aspects your product?
Rods:
Cost while seemingly cheaper up front to buy, what's the total cost after an alignment ?

Easier - how long to install rods for a regular guy? IIDtool I think it was pretty quick. Even the LLAMS was only an hour or so.

Safer-no, not even close. Maybe you should find someone to build badass aftermarket long travel struts. Then it would be a killer combo

Bigger tires - not at all. Rods don't magically make more space inside the fender liners. While air suspension system and compressor are working, it may seem like a great cheat but the rods will help 0% if the system has to drop on the the bump stops. That's why there are parts for that issue.

I repeat, there is no aspect of the rod mod that inherently allows for a larger tire. This is, ironically regarding your "grandpa" labeling, because if the vehicle is used off road, the tires will get stuffed into the fender liner. What fits is what fits. Rods don't make more space in there.

I tested all of this 7 years ago. Made my own shortened rods before anyone was producing them. The test showed that I could use the factory "extended mode" to get nearly the same height simply by placing blocking under the slider and lowering the lr3. Boom, the system automatically pops into the extra height for 0$ and the 20 seconds needed to place the blocking.

Add the full length rack, a root tent and awnings, and it becomes "NOT SMART" to ride on your rods at +2.5" down the interstate to ones destination.

It's ok, a long time ago people still argued horses were still better than trains and autos. In some ways they are, but not for the most part.

Rods had their time. Redesign/adapt or fail Mr. Johnson. I'd like to see you succeed so maybe step back and try a new approach to the problem.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Johnson Rod man you have gone into full-on ******** doucher mode. Your shortened rods do the SAME ******* thing as the electronic tools do...they trick the EAS into extended height. That's it!!!

So come off it. It's cheaper; that's all. I could easily use my IIDTool to run +2" all day long if I want. I like having the option of doing so only when needed.

If that's ****** then your $hit is Cialas, *******!

Last edited:

no-pistons

Reaction score
All these rods are so ridiculously overpriced for what you are actually getting. This guy is laughing all the way to the bank selling stupid things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys live in your own small forum world and don't have a national or global perspective of what going on. You think because you like to ride around in stock mode that everyone else should do the same. Sorry that's not reality. The demand for Johnson Rod lifts has grown year over year and will continue to do so. 2015 was huge and 2016 will be even better. Every year they add new models and as users start to convert older models to full time off road use the first mod they make it to lift it. I take calls and work with Land Rover dealers and auto shops across the country and they use Johnson Rods for lifting all models. They certainly don't use a programming tool as they want to keep it simple and not have customers messing with the system. You lack credibility when you circle the wagons around your own narrow mindedness. So be it. Thousand and thousands of users in the US and around the world and they all love their Johnson Rod lifts. The dealers like them, the users like them, the independent shops like them. Sorry, you guys are in the minority. This is what people want. Your grandpa mode is for boring old men who lack adventure.

Moab_2010_Dave_W-1.jpg

KaneCreek1-2.jpg

AyeletShafriri.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys live in your own small forum world and don't have a national or global perspective of what going on.

LOLZ "global" perspective. You're delusional if you think we are limited to this specific forum and the US. Where exactly did you think the electronic systems were developed.....?

Too funny you seem to not understand that the superior solutions are actually from other parts of the world where more of the vehicles are used more ruggedly than here.

The preferred method in Europe and Australia is in fact electronic. Hence three different electronic systems now available that I am aware of.

As for "credibility"....says the one who lies about facts making up nonsensical requirements and such simply for your own personal profit.

Anyway, it's clear you wanted to alienate any potential buyers on this silly little narrow minded forum. Be sure we will visit you on the big worldly forums....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. The dealers use the rods because they are CHEAP and simple; nobody ever argued that. The electronic tools are better because they allow an OPTION of running stock OR lifted ya buffoon. Also they have more functionality. Ever use a Johnson Rod to read the live values of gallery pressure in the EAS? How about to re-activate the EAS after a fault?

Your arguments are just non-sensical and make you sound deluded.

You should just say "my rod is cheap and does a simple job" and then **** and get off our forum!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the rods before I knew a lot about the EAS and the capabilities of the rig in stock form. Like most of your customers, they bought them because they didn't know any better and its a simple and least expensive option for a lift. People like lifts, we know that. I am just saying (not saying everyone has to do this) that it is not really necessary.

I'm not saying a lift can't be useful in some specific situations. If I was really rock crawling like the sport in the picture you just posted (without any need for it).. then I would probably use a lift of some form. It would even be worth it to swap out the rods if that was what I had. For my specific uses, I haven't needed it. Grandpa mode works for some pretty nasty terrain. The wheels go up and down just as much as with rods, I just have a little be less clearance on flat ground as I am rolling along. The best 'lift' I got was the ~1" from the tires.

I don't know why I am replying.. Pretty much everyone on the forum agrees on the basic points and we are just arguing with a sales person about an overpriced piece of wire with some grommets on the ends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM