Little feelings about the LR4.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a517458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own LR4 for 5 days only, sure will have more things to say later, but as of now I love it.
2 things though: 1. I think front windows have to be tinted, it is getting very hot... 2. Question - is it my LR, or normal - the shifter when switch from S to D feels kind of soft, there is no crispy feel, no lock point... don't know how to express... it does not feel like it is locked in place... ?? Anybody has the same thing?

Yes...I noticed that right away...asked them and they let me try all the other new lr4s in the lot. They all feels the same.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...I noticed that right away...asked them and they let me try all the other new lr4s in the lot. They all feels the same.
Ok, Thanks! Now I will sleep better! :)

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize that US English is a bit different from UK, but when I selected English UK and try to make voice entry for NAV it says that these commands are not supported with this language…? :)))

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize that US English is a bit different from UK, but when I selected English UK and try to make voice entry for NAV it says that these commands are not supported with this language…? :)))

Yep. It won't work. Gotta switch it back to US English for that feature. The factory gps sucks anyway. I use my phone. :hmpf:

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...The factory gps sucks anyway. I use my phone. :hmpf:

Well, as I said, I drive this truck just for a few days yet, but as of today I would disagree with this statement. May be they fixed it for 2012? I picked it in NY area that I don't know at all, and then spent a couple of days in NY city - I had no problems at all, like I did before with my bimmer for instance. It did a great job there. The only thing I will have to get used to is the final command to actually make the move - it gives it right at the point when you already suppose to start the maneuver. Other than that... But we will see, time will show... And yes, the voice command system is a bit too complicated, but voice recognition is much better then on others I tried before.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2012. Voice recognition is really good. I rarely repeat myself. I base my opinion on the road trips I've been on with it already and it has repeatedly given me wrong info. The problem is two fold. One, the only way to update it is with a CD and roads are always changing or being added. Second, the point of interests selection are just about worthless most times. I couldn't do something as simple as find the Zoo, or a Jimmy Johns I was literally parked right in front of. It just wouldn't do it. My phone showed me both within seconds.

It looks and sounds nice but I just don't trust it anymore after a few trips now. I'd **** for google maps being built in. Someone here said that Ford and Audi are doing this now. Hopefully LR jumps on-board and stops trying to do it themselves. They clearly aren't very good at it.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said, this is my first week of ownership, so I don't really have an argument yet. :) But it is a good info that you brought up, good to know! And even roads don't change in my area that often :), I agree, it would be nice to have more flexibility on updates.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2012. Voice recognition is really good. I rarely repeat myself. I base my opinion on the road trips I've been on with it already and it has repeatedly given me wrong info. The problem is two fold. One, the only way to update it is with a CD and roads are always changing or being added. Second, the point of interests selection are just about worthless most times. I couldn't do something as simple as find the Zoo, or a Jimmy Johns I was literally parked right in front of. It just wouldn't do it. My phone showed me both within seconds.

It looks and sounds nice but I just don't trust it anymore after a few trips now. I'd **** for google maps being built in. Someone here said that Ford and Audi are doing this now. Hopefully LR jumps on-board and stops trying to do it themselves. They clearly aren't very good at it.

Agree,
The nav system database is outdated and is the same in the 2012 model. I use the telenav app on my phone which is awesome. The turn by turn directions are transmitted via Bluetooth to the lr4 speakers.

grizzld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turn by turn directions are transmitted via Bluetooth to the lr4 speakers.

Good to know; I just ordered an HSE and was wondering if this was the case. In my current vehicle, when the Bluetooth is connected, the voice-guided directions are not transmitted through the speakers of the vehicle. The main problem with this is that the car's Bluetooth also prevents sound from coming out of the phone's external speakers. If I want voice-guided directions, I have to turn Bluetooth off, which is a pain.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know; I just ordered an HSE and was wondering if this was the case. In my current vehicle, when the Bluetooth is connected, the voice-guided directions are not transmitted through the speakers of the vehicle. The main problem with this is that the car's Bluetooth also prevents sound from coming out of the phone's external speakers. If I want voice-guided directions, I have to turn Bluetooth off, which is a pain.

The LR4 input should be on blue tooth audio for the turn by turn directions from the phone to come through the speakers. Vehicles without blue tooth audio will not do that. I assume your other vehicle does not have blue tooth audio. The 2012 LR4s have blue tooth audio. I have a 2011 which doesn't, but I have the ANYSTREAM device which enables audio to be transmitted via blue tooth from my phone to the LR4 spaekers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72