Locked out on my rover!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremia

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post. I have a 96 Discovery series 1. I bought the truck without a key fob. The truck never wanted to lock. I would always have to go through the rear passenger side door and lock all doors from the inside. Well the other night I pressed the lock button down on my driver door and all the doors locked. Awesome right? Well that set the alarm, which again, no key fob. When I went to open the door in the morning the alarm sounded and would not let me start it. I tried many different things including locking and unlocking the door from the outside while the door was open. I disconnected the battery, tried to work on the door lock, and no luck. Finally I towed it to the dealer and they claim i need a new control module located in the engine compartment before they could furthur diag. the problem. ($3000) I could also hear clicking from a module on the foot area of the passenger side. If I pulled the plug on the module the clicking stopped but still nothing happened. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you lock and unlock from the drivers door with the key? If not you have an issue, if you can you should be able to lock and unlock 4 times with the key to reset the alarm...

Jeremia

Reaction score
Can you lock and unlock from the drivers door with the key? If not you have an issue, if you can you should be able to lock and unlock 4 times with the key to reset the alarm...

Joey, thanks for the prompt reply. For some reason my key will not lock the rover from the outside, it will only unlock the door. ? Also, the dealer told me the main engine control module needs to be replaced before they can even see whats wrong. I've been looking online and so far have only found ecu's located in the passenger floor area. The dealer claims the one they need to replace is located in the engine compartment and when it gets replaced will need to be re programed. Any thoughts on that? Thanks -

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response.

Engine ECU is located on the passenger side engine fender area just in front of the washer tank.

Not sure why they say it needs replaced, and as far as not being able to lock unlock the door with the key... if you can't do this and you don't have a remote... Sadly I don't know how to help without having the LR specific computer hooked up to it.

Jeremia

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response.

Engine ECU is located on the passenger side engine fender area just in front of the washer tank.

Not sure why they say it needs replaced, and as far as not being able to lock unlock the door with the key... if you can't do this and you don't have a remote... Sadly I don't know how to help without having the LR specific computer hooked up to it.

Thanks again, your a big help. They said the ecu is dead and cant get a computer reading on the issue at hand without replacing it. I can't imagine that going bad, but I never thought I'd get locked out. Do you think I can replace the door lock in order to do the unlock sequence before I do anything else? Also, if I replace the ecu, would I need to have the dealer program it?

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy a fob, dealer can get you one. THEN see what's going on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4