Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrien

Reaction score
Good point, forgot to mention that I’ve been running a trickle charger for the battery
Good to know! Also for your weird voltage issue, have you tried moving your new ground to behind the BMS instead of bypassing it straight to the terminal? The BMS works in mysterious ways

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! Also for your weird voltage issue, have you tried moving your new ground to behind the BMS instead of bypassing it straight to the terminal? The BMS works in mysterious ways

I have not yet. By behind the BMS where are you talking about?

Adrien

Reaction score
I have not yet. By behind the BMS where are you talking about?
Anywhere downstream (or upstream I guess) of it, basically any other ground than the negative post. Land Rover claims that any accessories or even chargers should be grounded to something other than the negative post because of the BMS, but no one really has an explanation why… so who knows if it actually matters but worth a shot

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anywhere downstream (or upstream I guess) of it, basically any other ground than the negative post. Land Rover claims that any accessories or even chargers should be grounded to something other than the negative post because of the BMS, but no one really has an explanation why… so who knows if it actually matters but worth a shot

Ok, I’ll move it and see if the car still starts. Also I do have a light bar that was grounded to the negative post when I had it installed, I wonder if that’s messing with the BMS when I used it during night time off-roadside

Adrien

Reaction score
Ok, I’ll move it and see if the car still starts. Also I do have a light bar that was grounded to the negative post when I had it installed, I wonder if that’s messing with the BMS when I used it during night time off-roadside
Eh, honestly I have my doubts on if it makes any difference. Only reason I say BMS is that we’re clearly getting very strange voltage issues and there’s no charging system fault light. Usually I swear a spec or dust can be on one of the battery terminals and that light comes on

Adrien

Reaction score
Battery is charged, about to do the jump cable test. Jimmy for your initial test did you connect jumpers to both of those coil grounds? Or did you start it with just one?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery is charged, about to do the jump cable test. Jimmy for your initial test did you connect jumpers to both of those coil grounds? Or did you start it with just one?
I did both on the first test. I had to take another set of smaller cables to get it in the gap of the coolant pipes.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New ground set up, car still starts up, voltage is still high and battery is now charging. I might just leave it like this if no one else finds the issue with what makes the resistance high on the regular configuration.

Only thing is one of my MAF Senser’s reads -30 volts which I don’t understand because it works just fine. Gas mileage is good and the car runs fine. Might just leave it unless I start getting a CEL or the car acts up.

Attachments

• IMG_7327.jpeg
    IMG_7327.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 38

Adrien

Reaction score
New ground set up, car still starts up, voltage is still high and battery is now charging. I might just leave it like this if no one else finds the issue with what makes the resistance high on the regular configuration.

Only thing is one of my MAF Senser’s reads -30 volts which I don’t understand because it works just fine. Gas mileage is good and the car runs fine. Might just leave it unless I start getting a CEL or the car acts up.
Moving wire upstream of BMS fixed charging?

Waiting for smaller jumpers to arrive to finish the first test on mine, meanwhile I’ve removed the passenger wheel and fender to get at these ground wires and hopefully start making headway on finding the actual culprit

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving wire upstream of BMS fixed charging?

Waiting for smaller jumpers to arrive to finish the first test on mine, meanwhile I’ve removed the passenger wheel and fender to get at these ground wires and hopefully start making headway on finding the actual culprit

Yes it did.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72