Long crank, no faults

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update, with the new configuration that I have going on (ground to the fender) my battery charge has stayed consistently at 100% and my voltage has worked it’s way to a consistent 13.5. As I’ve read this is normal so I am happy. Also the check engine light hasn’t come back which is always good and the truck runs great. Pretty satisfied.

Adrien

Reaction score
Still waiting for smaller jumpers, should arrive tmrw! fingers crossed I share your success Jimmy!

Also, is it weird that I didn't have any low voltage warnings even with the battery at 11.5v? Is this message supposed to come on whenever I open the door/turn on accessory mode when battery is low?

Adrien

Reaction score
Oh I'll also add my no-start was fixed by adding a gallon of gas... So evidently my fuel sender will need to be replaced as well since it died with over a quarter tank. I feel pretty stupid for not trying that as it's actually happened once before last year. Tow truck driver even offered to add a gallon and I said no. Lesson learned

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still waiting for smaller jumpers, should arrive tmrw! fingers crossed I share your success Jimmy!

Also, is it weird that I didn't have any low voltage warnings even with the battery at 11.5v? Is this message supposed to come on whenever I open the door/turn on accessory mode when battery is low?

I only had the low battery when I had my my negative battery hooked directly to the coils, it probably messed with the charging system.

Adrien

Reaction score
Ok all hooked up and indeed fixed long crank!!

Question though, how hot are your new ground wires getting? I used 10 gauge wire as well to replicate your setup but I think they’re getting hot while running. I am testing on a hot engine though so possible the copper is just wicking away heat quickly from the upper timing area.

Also ordered new ground strap, I will install and then remove new grounds and let you know if long crank returns or remains solved

I guess my main concern is the faulty ground strap means the new coil grounds are possibly serving as a ground path for the starter motor... But I don't feel like pulling it all apart to check current since I'll be putting in the new earth soon anyways. But if yours isn't getting hot to the touch at all then maybe I will refrain from driving for now

Last edited:

Rieseb

Reaction score
I too have a 2011 LR4 that is not turning over. No codes on my reader. I am thinking Crank Position Sensor problems. I am pulling it tonight and will bench test it. There is a chane that can go and still not throw a code. Also, possibly cam positikn sensors.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have a 2011 LR4 that is not turning over. No codes on my reader. I am thinking Crank Position Sensor problems. I am pulling it tonight and will bench test it. There is a chane that can go and still not throw a code. Also, possibly cam positikn sensors.
Crank sensors won't keep it from cranking.
Does the ignition turn on?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

just try what i did just so you can rule it out.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a no-start condition today. I pushed the Start button and it cranked for probably 10 seconds until I pushed the start button again to stop the attempt. I began to worry while at the gas station and started to hear people laugh at me saying I shouldn't have bought a Land Rover. It turns out my legs were feeling a little numb and I unknowingly had my boot partly hitting the throttle.

I'm pretty sure it was from having my foot on the gas. It started right up every time before and after that. I need to run a test and push on the gas pedal again while trying to start. The LR4 has some weird rev protection too where if you fire it up and try to R it out in Park, it won't do it. It will only hit like 4K RPM with the gas all the way down. I've never had a vehicle do that before the LR4.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you completely floor it the engine won’t start.

Not sure about partial throttle. I’m sure there’s a threshold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72