Looking for the right LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fawcett_chad

Reaction score
Hello! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Discovery's but have always been frightened by low reliability and repair costs. I'd given up on the idea years ago of ever actually owning one. My wife and I have one child and hope for at least one, maybe two more. We are adventurous and like to spend time in the mountains playing when we have the chance. I've been researching midsize SUV's (Pathfinder's, Pilot's, CX-9's, boring, boring, boring) and nothing has kept my attention like the LR3. I love that we could comfortably go just about anywhere in it. My wife, unfortunately, is not as convinced about the LR3, though she may be coming around.

Based off of my research so far, it seems that the quality and reliability improved overall with the LR3. It seems like the '05's have the most common problems, so I'm looking at '06-'08 V8 +3rd row models in the sub $20k range. I've been obsessively researching but would appreciate any advice on what to watch for while shopping. One question I have is whether it's worth an extra thousand or two for an '08 versus a similarly equipped '06 if both have about 90k miles.

Any advice that will help convince my wife would also be helpful. :smile:

Update: FOUND IT!

My wife gave in, mostly just hoping to bring an end to my obsession, and we traded our '07 Forester for a tonga green '08 LR3 SE w/ climate package and 91k miles. It's coming from being a corporate fleet vehicle, so maintenance records look great. Suspension system does appear to be original, which helped me negotiate on my price. I bought it from a Toyota dealer, and they didn't really know anything about it. Hopefully it has a lot of life left in it. Only had it a few days and I love this thing! Planning on going up to the mountains this Saturday and finding someplace to do what this thing is meant to do. I live in Greeley, CO, so if anyone has any suggestions of some good 4 wheeling spots (for an amateur) within a couple hours' drive- they would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your looking for trails check out traildamage.com they have great info there, with rating on the trail and a good description of the trail. Go out and have fun. We're just west of Denver if you ever want to get down this way we could go do a trail. I'm looking for some people to go out with and get these a little dirty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635