Looking to purchase - 2012 - LR4 - Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree - looks like a good deal of work performed. You might still want your own mechanic to take a look, but seems to be a solid purchase.

It looks like the rear crossover (called “heater manifold”) was not replaced, so that’s something you would probably still want to take care of short term.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great deal to me. Just picked up an 11 at 90k with exceptional maintenance for just under 14 so you may be getting a better deal given all the extras!

Neil Couvillion

Reaction score
So, I got a carfax (felt the autocheck was lacking in information) on this LR4 and I wanted to see if there was any thoughts for concern from anyone here.

6 owners, not sure if it was a dealer car or what as the last 4 only had the truck for a little over a year.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Neil

Attachments

• Lewis CF.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got a carfax (felt the autocheck was lacking in information) on this LR4 and I wanted to see if there was any thoughts for concern from anyone here.

6 owners, not sure if it was a dealer car or what as the last 4 only had the truck for a little over a year.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Neil

6 owners is alot. and weird that it had 2 owners in 2 years.
The carfax records dont indicate alot of services during those 2 years, but i cant help but feel people are trying to dump that car because of an issue that cant be or too costly to fix. why else would you buy and sell a car within 1 year?

on the plus side, its low mileage and appears well maintained.

If you have any thought of resale, make sure to weigh that in with your offer and the accident on the record. IF you plan to drive it until it does, then just make sure the repair is done correctly and maybe use it as a bargaining chip.

and it really means nothing, but DMV is really driving home the point that the car is white. lol

Neil Couvillion

Reaction score
I know, it is repetitive.

I wonder if that was the timing chain in need of replacement and that would remedy and issues since all of that was done in January of 2020.

Thanks.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of new owners do not appreciate the fuel thirst of these rigs. Add in the small tank so that you always seem to be at a gas station and then it requires premium. I could see a new owner flipping quick if they put on lots of miles.

Oh and the infotainment is archaic by modern standards, this is probably the real reason. No apple car play. For me I am a luddite who likes cubic inches so don't care..

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like owner 3 was a dealer using as a personal vehicle - serviced at a Toyota dealer - only a Toyota dealer would do that. Owner 4 might have been a transfer of title back to the dealership before resale, though not sure why it shows as personal vehicle. Owner 5 looks like an out of state purchase moving the vehicle from TN to MS.

Overall, kind of tough to say what happened between owners 4-6. Maybe those timing chain issues appeared, and a mechanic bought it cheap, fixed it, and sold it.

If the price is right, it drives well, and my own mechanic looked it over and it checks out, I probably wouldn’t let this transaction history bother me. Might affect resale, but I wouldn’t be buying this care with the idea of reselling it anytime soon, personally.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like owner 3 was a dealer using as a personal vehicle - serviced at a Toyota dealer - only a Toyota dealer would do that. Owner 4 might have been a transfer of title back to the dealership before resale, though not sure why it shows as personal vehicle. Owner 5 looks like an out of state purchase moving the vehicle from TN to MS.

Overall, kind of tough to say what happened between owners 4-6. Maybe those timing chain issues appeared, and a mechanic bought it cheap, fixed it, and sold it.

If the price is right, it drives well, and my own mechanic looked it over and it checks out, I probably wouldn’t let this transaction history bother me. Might affect resale, but I wouldn’t be buying this care with the idea of reselling it anytime soon, personally.

Sounds like sound reasoning to me, mixed in with the obligatory dash of rationalization that all Land Rover owners are prone to. I’d have to agree. Pull the trigger, reach for the pills, and don’t look back.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think they gave you the correct discount. 20% off parts and labor should be a lot more than $200. I guess maybe it’s capped?

Not looking forward to this on my car. Thankfully I still have a ways to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA