LR3/4 lovers, fret not. Replacement maybe on the way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be hitting the LA auto show this weekend, any messages/thoughts of love and affection that you guys may wanna convey to the TATA/LR suits up there? I am never shy expressing my personal thoughts to them in a straight manner whenever I have the opportunity to catch them in person and would be more than happy to communicate to them your thoughts or even hand to them any love letters.

I am prepared to let these guys know about the tales of the service departments' relentless will of offering that quality service for $198/hr in my area :)
Remind them the first owner of the LR3/4s were upscale Soccer Mom's. The current LR offerings look too close to the Minivans they were fleeing from. Now they buy the 4 door Jeep Unlimited or a 4Runner - go figure!

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ladies and gentlemen, keep em coming. Can print it out and hand it to them if you'd like.

Also, i think it would be great if there are any soccer moms here who can share their thoughts.

I am about to pickup a set of takeoff rims for my snows from a couple who owns a sport and an LR4, and during the convo yesterday husband mentioned that his wife loved the drive quality of LR4 and ended up purchasing a low-miles '13.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^My thoughts exactly^

Didn't know that there was a bit of a rivalry between the fellow LR3 and 4 owners :) Guess some amount of it could be healthy :)

Before owning a 4 for about five years, I owned an '06 3 for six years. I feel 3 was more well-planted, floatier, and more settled at highway speeds regardless of the surface, primarily due to the suspension tuning and steering weight.

4.4 was smooth but I did feel wanting more power at higher altitudes with grades (like a fairly long and gradual grade stretch on I-15 from LA to Vegas and back where you go thru more than 4k feet without realising due to the flat terrain around you. Did require fair bit of right foot' weight on the pedal, and for a longer than ideal time, to reach near 90 mph.

But back at sea level, I remember the 4.4 had enough grunt for me to force me to ease off on the gas if I stepped on it to downshift for passing or reaching higher speeds on the freeway. The motor would just keep pulling with a constantly increasing non-stop ******.

Every now and then, I spot a 3 around town and admire its looks (with the distinct black plastic wheel well mouldings) over a 4, specially in zambezi silver.

Last edited:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 guys have me hooked on thinking if I want a pony to play with it's the one. My LR4 is being babied as a DD and I plan to keep it that way. Regular maintenance and upkeep should keep it going for a long time. Maybe I'll find some magical slush fund to get a 3 for more fun...hmmm...GoFundMe LOL

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not all bad, so you pay off the LR4 and then keep paying, but towards maintenance instead of the vehicle. If you spend $250 a month (on average over time), it is not so horrendous for such a unique vehicle...
That's what is coming about to be... Should start saving $250/month... Wait! That's around half of a lease payment on of a loaded VW Atlas V-6 4motion with 72,000 miles/6 years (almost) bumpers to bumper warranty!!! But I have to admit that I still love my 2012 LR-4 but a transfer case oil leak with just 55k miles on it? LCA replaced at 35k miles? Can't help considering options.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us what you think of the Rivian SUV up close. That looks intriguing

Taemian

Reaction score
Why do you have to be like that?

Having owned a LR3 for 6 years and now a LR4 for almost 7 I will say I would rather face the prospect of replacing the timing chain guides (although not yet at 105k miles knock on wood) and enjoying every day the substantial ****** of the mighty 5.0L over the rather anemic 4.4L while benefiting from better fuel economy, handling and terrain response to boot lol.

Enjoy your 3, no need for hit and run troll statements to drive wedges between 3/4 owners.

Take out the stick and relax, Alice. I'm not "trying to drive a wedge...blah blah blah". Who even talks like that? The issues with the 4.4 as far as reliability go, are very few and far between. Of course there is an exception to prove every rule, like mentioned here. But I've heard far more widely known overall issues with the different variants of LR4 engines. Simply put, that's why I don't buy one. Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't.

As far as power goes, it's my wife's truck so I'm only in it with the family in the winter months... otherwise I drive a 687 hp Marauder that does high 11s in the quarter mile. So please forgive me, but I would find it very difficult at best to tell the mighty grunt of of LR4 (lol) over the measly 100hp less-rated LR3. As far as fuel economy goes, if that is a big concern for you, buy a Toyota. I have to put 94 octane in my car and it drinks heavily, so filling her 3 is cheap by comparison.

As far as ride quality goes, her 3 outperformed a service loaner 4 that we had on washboard/rutted roads, so I left it at that. Sometimes newer is not always better, just different. I'm sure the 4 is better on the paved road. (Our 3 also has the HD package, that was a must.)

I'm happy you enjoy your 4, I enjoy our 3. Mainly for it's ability to keep my wife and kids safe, and get them home every time. I'm not a LR fanboy, unlike many here. I'm only on the forum to figure fixes and gain tips, as I used to throw wrenches for a federal law enforcement agency. I will drive ANY make/model if it meets my needs, and I haven't found a replacement for the 3 yet that does everything that it does. I wish LR had continued the natural evolution of the 3/4/5 instead of building the sleek soccer mom express. But to be successful in business, you have to know your market, and I guess the new 5 is what the market demands so far.

As it is, I'm looking to get the driver's seat redone due to cracking along the side leather, and perhaps the aux battery, but that's it. I use the same severe service maintenance schedule on her 3 as I use on my car, gathered (but modified) from my fleet service days for each vehicle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72