LR3 and Iphone 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have issues with my IPhone 3GS and my LR3. Address book is no issue, works fine. pairs fine. Connects fine. The problem is that the current version 3.1.3 (7E18), that's the latest, on the phone has not been tested by LR, therefore any connectivity issues are not going to be handled by LR. I have spent countless hours with my local dealer on this issue. They replaced the phone module and mic twice and the voice quality is pathetic. LR is years behind bluetooth tech. compared to other manufacturers like Hunday for Christ sake. I am affraid that LR has better things to do than to take care of phone issues, and who knows how long it will take to test the new IPhone 4. Granted I can climb a 89 degree hill and drive thru 90" of water but I can't call my local LR dealer for my monthly warranty appointment from my Bluetooth! Ahhhh thanks guys feel much better.
BTW, I will never trade my LR for any other phone issues free vehicle, but geez, its 1990's technology! My kids Nintendo has bluetooth!

You can upgrade to the LR4's bluetooth module which I hear drastically improves the voice quality. Write up on disco3.co.uk - but it isn't plug and play (the connector changed)

rfh1987

Reaction score
Can Dealer swap out LR3's bluetooth module with LR4 module?

You can upgrade to the LR4's bluetooth module which I hear drastically improves the voice quality. Write up on ************** - but it isn't plug and play (the connector changed)

Mack73, do the dealers know how to upgrade the module? I have an '06 LR3, and my past two phones had issues connecting to it. In each case, I always had to manually tell the phone to connect to the LR3, when I got in (including entering the pairing code). With the latest phone, not only do I have to manually tell the phone to connect, I actually have to unpair, and then repair the phone. :S

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I started this thread a while back. But havent had any connection issues with the iphone 4 or my iphone 5 since that module was replaced way back when.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mack73, do the dealers know how to upgrade the module? I have an '06 LR3, and my past two phones had issues connecting to it. In each case, I always had to manually tell the phone to connect to the LR3, when I got in (including entering the pairing code). With the latest phone, not only do I have to manually tell the phone to connect, I actually have to unpair, and then repair the phone. :S

Not sure but it really isn't "made" to work so I think they won't do it for you.

It isn't that hard to do, the hardest part is getting the side panel off but just take your time and you won't damage anything.

You basically have to only plug in 2 wires from the old connector, so you need to make a jumper or some other way of plugging into the old connector and getting it to stay in the new connector ( I used zip ties)

rfh1987

Reaction score
Bluetooth Module Exchange service?

Not sure but it really isn't "made" to work so I think they won't do it for you.

It isn't that hard to do, the hardest part is getting the side panel off but just take your time and you won't damage anything.

You basically have to only plug in 2 wires from the old connector, so you need to make a jumper or some other way of plugging into the old connector and getting it to stay in the new connector ( I used zip ties)

Are you referring to the Bluetooth Module Exchange service?
http://www.bluetoothexchange.co.uk/

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Bluetooth Module Exchange service?
http://www.bluetoothexchange.co.uk/

I choose just to buy the new LR4 version. i already had the upgraded bluetooth on my 08.

Since I bought it out of the UK from a guy (I think the same one that runs the exchange you linked to) they included a simple pig tail to go from the old connector to new (but it doesn't clip in so it could fall out when offroading, hence the use of zipties)

rfh1987

Reaction score
LR4 Module

I choose just to buy the new LR4 version. i already had the upgraded bluetooth on my 08.

Since I bought it out of the UK from a guy (I think the same one that runs the exchange you linked to) they included a simple pig tail to go from the old connector to new (but it doesn't clip in so it could fall out when offroading, hence the use of zipties)

It sounds like it is the same guy. I also off-road. So, I would need to zip-tie it if I got the LR4 module, too. In your opinion, should I get the LR4 module or the updated LR3 module, and why? I'm not worried about the ease of installation, since it sounds pretty easy for either one, anyway (and I'm a Computer Engineer). Have you had any problems or annoyances with the upgraded LR4 module?

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it is the same guy. I also off-road. So, I would need to zip-tie it if I got the LR4 module, too. In your opinion, should I get the LR4 module or the updated LR3 module, and why? I'm not worried about the ease of installation, since it sounds pretty easy for either one, anyway (and I'm a Computer Engineer). Have you had any problems or annoyances with the upgraded LR4 module?

Perfect. You won't have any problems then (also in IT here :hello:)

I would go straight to the LR4. While it functions the same as the upgraded LR3 version, it may make a slight difference with the mic quality and that is worth it. I still get comments that it isnt great so don't expect it to be that much better.

No problems with any of my iphones (3G, 3GS, 4G) or my wifes Android phones.

I can't remember if this was different from how the LR3 one worked, but it will auto connect to the last phone used if 2 paired devices are present.

So if I am by myself it connects to my phone. If my wife is by herself it connects to her phone. If we are both in the car when it is started, it will connect to who ever drove it last.

rfh1987

Reaction score
Speakers affected?

Perfect. You won't have any problems then (also in IT here :hello:)

I would go straight to the LR4. While it functions the same as the upgraded LR3 version, it may make a slight difference with the mic quality and that is worth it. I still get comments that it isnt great so don't expect it to be that much better.

No problems with any of my iphones (3G, 3GS, 4G) or my wifes Android phones.

I can't remember if this was different from how the LR3 one worked, but it will auto connect to the last phone used if 2 paired devices are present.

So if I am by myself it connects to my phone. If my wife is by herself it connects to her phone. If we are both in the car when it is started, it will connect to who ever drove it last.

My phone doesn't automatically connect at all, currently. So, that is an improvement. haha. I read something about going to the LR4 module affecting the speakers. Can you still get radio through your speakers? Also, when talking on the phone, does it come through the speakers?

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My phone doesn't automatically connect at all, currently. So, that is an improvement. haha. I read something about going to the LR4 module affecting the speakers. Can you still get radio through your speakers? Also, when talking on the phone, does it come through the speakers?

Yes. Radio is playing, call comes in, radio is muted, ringing plays through speakers, answer phone and call is connected to speakers. When call ends, radio begins playing on speakers again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112