LR3 Brighter Foglight Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil M

Reaction score
Has anyone ever swapped out their LR3's foglights with LED H11 bulbs? What'd you think of the light pattern and which bulbs did you use?

I'm well aware of the fact that the reflectors will not work "right" for an LED bulb. It'll even change from one bulb design to another, but some might be brighter where I want them to be brighter; i.e. the lower corners... LEDs would allow me to pump more light through those reflectors, at less wattage.

Does anyone have any experience actually doing this? Thanks!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting to retain their use as a fog light or are you looking for more of a high speed driving lights or do you want a wide beam pattern flood for off roading?

Phil M

Reaction score
Yes? I use the stock fog lights often but they were only really good at filling a little bit of light on the lower edges of the road that the headlights do not reach. I'm not expecting to get functional off-road lighting or true floods out of those housings.

I'm hoping that higher wattage LED bulbs could do more edge-of-the-road illuminations, function slightly better in the fog (contemplating yellow bulbs too), without creating too many shadows due to the difference the way the light hits the reflectors. I want to use them often on roads so not blinding oncoming traffic is important too.

Hope that answered your question.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say yellow bulbs could produce better performance in fog, but LEDs generally will not.

Do you have the Halogen headlamps? If so, you may get better results in swapping those out for LEDs. A buddy of mine just did that and they look pretty good and really bright.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want to run them with your low beams? (not blind traffic and leave on?)

Best solution is better halogen bulbs for the fogs (yellows) . Then buy some discreet driving lamps (Baja designs) flood/spot combos and run with a relay to your high beams. Are you running halogen low beams or xenons?

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want to run them with your low beams? (not blind traffic and leave on?)

Best solution is better halogen bulbs for the fogs (yellows) . Then buy some discreet driving lamps (Baja designs) flood/spot combos and run with a relay to your high beams. Are you running halogen low beams or xenons?
I second the bajas - I will but putting the round squadrons in my bumper.

Phil M

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm impressed with the xenons headlights. I upgraded to them a few years back. They're really bright! And the high beams are just mean!

I would have loved to add a light bar into the grill. I've seen a couple builds that integrated it beautifully. I think it fits the lines well. But that's a bigger project than my 210k mile '08 LR3 is up for.

I have a bit of experience fitting LED bulbs into halogen housings; I upgraded my motorcycle headlights with two 5k lumen passively LED cooled bulbs. The pattern was different, but with the added brightness, they light up the road FAR better than the halogens have. I was thinking about doing yellows, but I'm not sure halogen bulbs will increase that visibility as much as I was hoping. I'll grab a couple sets of bulbs and give them a go. I'll let you know.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool...my only point was that LEDs won't really work as well for fog due to the limited wavelengths emitted and mie scattering of fog. The data isn't really concrete, but anecdotal data supports test data in this case.

Reaction score
Please don’t run brighter lights in factory fog housing/reflector on the road. The factory ones are already a poor pattern and throw too much light up at other drivers. The Baja Design squadron is an excellent choice but not for on road use where you have traffic. Dedicated driving lights are the way to go.

I have led replacement bulbs in my factory fog units from Carid. Same bulb number as factory. They have an led array around the post to use the reflector, and a small projector lens on the front for greater depth of light forward. They work really well.

Attachments

• 3B8818A9-EBA7-4F03-B517-BE2182CD202C.jpeg
    3B8818A9-EBA7-4F03-B517-BE2182CD202C.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut