LR3 HSE Oil Pan Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucktown

Reaction score
Replacing the transmission pan is not exactly simple, but it certainly is doable.
There is a round rubber gasket between the plastic transmission pan the the metal of the transmission body. I would say you can tighten up the Torx bolts but just to spec - that should not hurt anything.

The link has some jpg's that show the bolts bit. Note Ford versions tend to use a metal pan, shorter screws and a normal flat gasket. The LR3 is not normal.

The link below is to a number of files I have related to our ZF 6HP26X transmission and the pan change.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5059

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

awesome, thanks very much. heading to the dealer first thing in the morning for some parts. I need new drain and fill plugs as well due to crush washers, correct?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
throw away pan assembly

You purchase a whole new plastic pan with built in oil filter; also the oil which is the expensive item.

In Australia, the guys there have sourced a metal pan kit, (Ford parts I presume but ZF also sells a metal pan kit in Germany).

As such, they remove the metal pan to replace a separate oil filter and then install a new flat gasket reusing the metal pan. Also new oil is put in at that time, the hard part as there is no fill pipe from the top, GM style.

You will have to spend some time researching the procedure - it is not a Hydromatic. You only have one chance to put the right amount of hot oil in - well the oil is cold but then your run the engine while it if up on the hoist, check oil temp with a heat gun - that sort of fuss or you find an independent shop that knows what a ZF 6HP26X is, cross your fingers and open your wallet. It is only rarely that a LR dealer will know how but they often have a local independent that they sub out to so will normally tell you as they do not want to have anything to do with the tranny. The independent will normally have a flock of dead Mercedes and Audie's parked in behind their shop. That will be the right place.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wash the pan off first

What I would do, now that the tranny pan is exposed, is go down to the car wash and try to clean all the oil off whatever. Then I would try tightening ever so lightly, the plastic pan screws near the leak.

Later tonight, I will find some links to the Australia forum and others re changing the pan, plastic or metal. Removal of the plastic pan usually requires a lifting of the engine block somewhat but there are tricks. As such, you need to put some time into research - that is why the dealers run away, that is the Mercedes, Audie and to some degree, Land Rover.

Since oil has leaked out, even if tightening the screws solves the leak problem, you will have to add some some official oil. To add, it is a metal plug you remove; to drain, plastic a plastic plug.

Too little oil, bad, too much oil, worse.

bucktown

Reaction score
So it turns out I was a little over 2 liters short. All that time assuming it was my engine oil dripping and just increasing the frequency of oil changes could have really cost me.

The transmission is so much smoother now, its amazing what being full of fluid can do. I had let some of the old fluid leak drip onto a clean sheet of white paper before I added new fluid, it was perfectly clear and had a good smell still. I'm tempted to just change the gasket on the existing pan, being that its less than $20, the dealer in edmonton quoted $240 for the new pan/filter combo. (I know it can be sourced online for less than half that)

Either way, this top up should hold me over till new parts show up, thanks for all your help in this mess bbyer.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edmonton you say.

I did not realize that you also live in the Edmonton area.

I do not have as much confidence as you do I would say.

Rather than attempt an oil and filter change myself, (new plastic pan and filter combo), I got DOT Transmission on 149 St and 112 Ave to do the work.

They found removing the pan to be a bit more of a challenge than they first anticipated but they know now how to do it. The actual oil change was routine for them. You might wish to consider talking to Ron over there.

It is just as much work to replace the gasket as it is to install an all new pan filter combo hence ....

The vertical plastic pipe from the oil filter that feeds up the oil pump means you do not just slide in a new gasket.

bucktown

Reaction score
I did not realize that you also live in the Edmonton area.

I do not have as much confidence as you do I would say.

Rather than attempt an oil and filter change myself, (new plastic pan and filter combo), I got DOT Transmission on 149 St and 112 Ave to do the work.

They found removing the pan to be a bit more of a challenge than they first anticipated but they know now how to do it. The actual oil change was routine for them. You might wish to consider talking to Ron over there.

It is just as much work to replace the gasket as it is to install an all new pan filter combo hence ....

The vertical plastic pipe from the oil filter that feeds up the oil pump means you do not just slide in a new gasket.

After looking at the diagrams in the pdf's a little closer, you appear to be right. I was hoping to be able to maybe just snake a new gasket in there, but with the oil feed tube extending all the way up top like that, it doesn't look feasible.

I may just get a hold of them over there, I think I know the place actually. Do you know if they had stock of compatible fluid at the shop? Id probably be wise to snag some at the dealer otherwise

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may now but ....

I know that Ron used oil supplied by Land Rover Edmonton on my 3.

The back story was interesting. Initially Ron said that they buy ZF oil by the barrel, (which they do for the Mercedes ZF 5 speed trannys they fix), however it is not quite the same stuff that goes into the 6HP26X; (note the X, which is for the all wheel drive version of the tranny).

Bottom line is that he purchased the oil I needed from the LR dealer. It is possible that the oil container had the Jaguar part number on it however as the Jag part number oil lists for less money than the same LR part number oil.

Go see what Ron says, but my bet is you will be back at Land Rover Edmonton buying either the LR part number oil or the Jag part number oil. If you do, talk to Bruce in parts re the two oils and ask what Simon in the shop is using these days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635