Lr3 Power Steering Pump Assessment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abram Tunnicliff

Reaction score
Backstory
Started digging into the pulleys on account of a squeal. Sounded like it was coming from up high (water pump pulley?), and I could see a very slight wobble to the water pump pulley. A little water on the belt seemed to stop it, though I cant be certain which pulley it was, since applying water to various pulleys all had almost immediate results.
The squeak go worse over time and the latest water bottle test did not stop the leak. The best thing I had to go on was the slight wobble I saw in the water pump. So I ordered a pump and got the belts/pulleys off and found the water pump shaft to feel super solid to the hand - I will probably still replace it since it looks like the original (I'm at 150,000 miles and it can't hurt). Not really sure how to account for the wobble. I'm starting to second guess myself. Maybe there is play I cant produce with my hand. Or maybe the pulley was not bolted on snug? I guess I'll find out when I put a new pump on and reattach the pulley.

Power Steering Pump
BUT!!!!! As a I checked the other pulleys, I found that the power steering pump has forward/backward play of a couple mm. It doesn't seem to have any off axis play - just slides forward and backward a bit. Is this a problem? I haven't felt/heard any steering trouble. Wondering if I should swap it out while I've got everything apart.

Side Notes
The tensioner pulleys have a bit of a "dry" sound to them. Do you replace the whole assemble, or do you just get wheel/bearing?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's your choice, I would just order the assembly. When I was younger I ordered a bearing for a SAAB 9000 and was going to press it in but the size difference was enough that I had to drill and tap screw holes on each side of the pulley to hold the bearing in. It wasn't a press fit in other words.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72