LR3 to LR4V8 to LR4SCV6 differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR Tony

Reaction score
You are not wrong. With the LR4 LR played with the suspension geometry to give the new model quicker handling and less roll. I prefer the LR3 steering ratio and roll angles as it suits the vehicle and mission more. They quickened and tightened things up to appeal to the pavement crowd. Makes it better to drive as mom drops the kids off at school.

Yes the 4.4 was quieter and smoother. If only it had another 100 HP we wouldn't have needed this 5.0L DI nonsense.

Thanks for confirming the difference in the suspension!! I haven’t figured out how to edit my original post - I don’t see any options to do so.

An extra 100 HP and more torque in the LR3 would be amazing. Downshifting into 4th or 3rd on the highway when in the mountains really dings the mpg. Otherwise, if its flat, no headwinds, I am still impressed at the mpg. Last weekend averaged 20.6 mpg with full rack, 4 Hellas, awning, and a full load w/ 3 kids and 2 dogs in the back when doing 55-60 mph on fairly flat 2 lane hwy. As soon as we moved to the interstate doing 70-75 mph, mpg’s dropped to 18.2.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm the LR3 (at least my ‘08) has bottom center rear cup holders that slide in and out. I wonder why they deleted the extra hidden one right of the dashboard that slides in/out on the LR4s.

what kind of witchcraft features are we talking about here? Because these don’t exist on my 4.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of witchcraft features are we talking about here? Because these don’t exist on my 4.
I think you can read that sentence two ways, the way I think he meant it is that it was deleted on the LR4 and it is a shame.
The LR4 V8 is way noisier than the 6, the supercharger on top probably muffles the insanely noisy injectors.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can read that sentence two ways, the way I think he meant it is that it was deleted on the LR4 and it is a shame.
The LR4 V8 is way noisier than the 6, the supercharger on top probably muffles the insanely noisy injectors.
I was talking about the cup holders. Because I just found out about the ones for the 2nd row at the bottom of the center console.

PWD2

Reaction score
I’ve been searching for a comprehensive thread that has all the differences between LR3 (4.4L) to LR4 V8 to LR4 SCV6. I haven’t found one (maybe I suck at search function), so starting this thread in hopes of folks contributing and having a worthwhile resource. Trying to keep this to the differences. Please feel free to add or correct and I’ll go back in to edit the post so its accurate. Thanks!

LR3V8.

4.4L V8 300 HP / 315 TQ
Start/Stop: No
Transmission: 6 sp auto
Suspension: Air
Terrain Response: 5 (including Rock crawl)
Headlights: Halogen.
High beam assist: No
Heated Steering wheel: No.
Blind spot assist: No
Backup Camera: No
Surround Camera: No.
Shifter: Stick/Stalk.
Cup holders: ExLarge (fits a yeti colster) + hidden one right of glovebox

LR4V8.

5.0L V8 375 HP / 375 TQ
Start/Stop: No
Transmission: 6 sp auto
Suspension: Air
Terrain Response: 5 (including Rock crawl)
Headlights: Hal or Xenon w/ dot LEDs
High beam assist: Yes
Heated Steering wheel option: Yes
Blind spot assist option: No??
Backup Camera: Yes
Surround Camera option: Yes
Shifter: Stick/Stalk.
Cup holders: Regular size and no hidden one in LR4s, right?

LR4SCV6

3.0L SC 340 HP / 332 TQ
Start stop: Yes
Transmission: 8 sp auto
Suspension: Air. (Is the suspension / ride the same between each? Same compressor, damping, etc?)
Self Leveling the same or more advanced on LR4s?
Terrain Response: 4 / 5 (if HD pack Rear Locker). Is the programming different between generations or years? HD package required on the SCV6 to get the locking center. Otherwise center was standard on the LR3 and LR4V8.

Other drive train differences?
Towing specs say 7716 (‘07LR3 - ‘16LR4) though there is a difference in brake caliper size between LR3 and LR4.

Headlights: Xenon w/ DRL LEDs
High beam assist: Yes
Heated Steering wheel option: Yes
Blind spot assist option: Yes
Backup Camera: Yes
Surround Camera option: Yes
Shifter: Dial
Cup holders: Regular size and no hidden one in LR4s, right?

Overall the interior gets more modern and less “analog” feel as you move from LR3 to LR4V8 to LR4SCV6

Backstory:

I’m now at 110K miles on my ‘08 LR3, its running great, and has some aftermarket/custom work done. As items were replaced such as rear diff, put in a locker. I had the original intention of keeping it for a very long time and doing overland adventures so haven’t minded investing in the mods/upgrades. In reality, its on pavement most of the time shuttling the kids between their activities, or for skiing or the beach. Its off pavement is on the beach more than dirt. During first month of Covid I sold my daily driver. So the LR3 is now my daily - I love the utility of it, ride, style, but wanting more of the “modernness” of the LR4 but not sure it is worth the +$20K to move to ‘13LR4 or SCV6. Currently spending roughly $2500/year on maintenance (might be overkill but don’t want to be stranded w/ our young kids) spend has me wondering if I would be better off moving to a more modern LR4 SCV6 that may have less maintenance in the near term. Also I don’t have experience in a SCV6... no idea if the ride is smoother, quieter, etc and other modern conveniences to be enough to make it worthwhile.

The most important feature/consideration of any Land Rover is reliability. They can be complicated troublesome POS. Like you, my 08 LR3 has been very good. The seats continue to be comfortable and hard wearing. Everything works. I would not spend significant $$ to move to something that is known not to be as reliable or long lived. The 4.4 V8 seems to be a sweet spot of good design. ZF 6 speed with oil changes seems very good too.

DrMorison

Reaction score
LR4SCV6 From 2014 through 2016. If you don't have the HD package, then you also don't get a center locking differential, you get a Torsen limited slip center diff.

Dwelce

Reaction score
In response to the original post...I was using my 2006 LR3 HSE w/HD package with 120,000 miles as my daily driver. We also purchased a 2015 LR4 w/ vision package with under 50k miles about a year and a half ago. The LR3 has since been sold and while I do miss it, the LR4 is just so much more refined, it's smoother, better gas mileage. Generally, I like it better than the LR3. My wife now drives the LR4, it doesn't have the HD package on it which is fine for us and the type of driving/activity we do. We do tow our Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE with it and I really like the way it tows. We also now live in Bend, Or so we will see more snow and have full confidence it will get us through the winter with no issues...just need a better set of tires.

I would have been fine keeping the LR3 longer but given the maintenance it tends to need, which again I was ok paying as I loved the car, but ultimately we totally love the LR4 and I think you will too.

LR Tony

Reaction score
I was talking about the cup holders. Because I just found out about the ones for the 2nd row at the bottom of the center console.

Good morning. I am referring to two different sets. LR3 (at least ‘08) has two in the rear, below the center console for backseat passengers, same as LR4. The LR3 has an additional single cup holder (spring loaded, in/out) on the far right side of the dashboard for the front seat passenger. This is in addition to the extra large two cup holder in the center console up front. Therefore a LR3 passenger can have 3 drinks held. One in center console, one in dashboard holder, one in lower door. The single spring loaded passenger one has held up well. Have had full size yeti in it multiple times without issues. I can see also see situations whereby a passenger may hit it on egress/ingress - perhaps that’s why it was phased out on the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA