LR4 2010 Maps update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hossam

Reaction score
Hi there, i wonder if there any possibility to update the maps in my LR4 model 2010 without going to the dealer since they told it costs 900 USD :eek:

thanks

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, 2010 and 2011s must be updated by a dealer. Any dealer, so shop around if you have choices nearby. Anything more than $300/400 is highway robbery.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, 2010 and 2011s mist br updated by a dealer. Any dealer, so shop around if you have choices nearby. Anything more than $300/400 is highway robbery.

How do you update a 2013? Not that I have to, just curious.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a $200 USB thumb drive containing the updated maps directly from Navteq (now called HERE), and plug it into the car to start the update process.

Last edited:

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NAV on the 2011 LR4 was outdated when the truck was brand new. I can't imagine spending any amount (let alone $1000!) to simply update the maps and POIs. There's still no traffic updates, and the routing/mapping/UI seems pretty bad, as least based on the couple of times I actually tried using it several years ago. A good mount for your smartphone (I got a nice one at proclipusa) and an app like Google Maps, Waze or TomTom (my personal preference) is much less expensive and significantly more functional, IMO.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a $200 USB thumb drive containing the updated maps directly from Navteq (now called HERE), and plug it into the car to start the update process.

Well, what a bunch of rip off artists. 199 Euro for the Maps, 130 Euro to ship a thumb drive!

Attachments

• Nav.jpg
    Nav.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 41

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good mount for your smartphone (I got a nice one at proclipusa) and an app like Google Maps, Waze or TomTom (my personal preference) is much less expensive and significantly more functional, IMO.

There really are so many choices that are better now in every way. Take for example an ipad with cell capability, but no account, you can actually use the GPS chip inside it on map apps that are already downloaded. Same way an iphone works with the same mapping apps even when there is no cell service at all.

I'm using "Scenic maps" currently for hiking and back country driving. It works perfectly even without an cell service. There are certainly others that will do the same thing with more features.

There are three ways to run an ipad with full internet though:

-pay for data cell account on the ipad.

-use iphone as a wifi hotspot (will depending on your data volume plan though, mine is unlimited but I can't use it as a hotspot. Unlimited is worth more to me than occasional hotspot)

-pay for an actual wifi hotspot that you could run the ipad off, or even a laptop, etc. I use ATT for the phone because it allows phone call during data use at the same time but my wifi hotspot is Verizon because it gets the best reception in more mountainous places in WA.

An added bonus for you people who want to stay in touch, an iphone will allow emails or even imessage texts over my Version wifi even if there's no ATT cell service. Having options can be useful.

Or, just get over it and stop at a payphone after the trip to tell people you survived ;)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two dealers confirmed to me that it would about $280 for maps update.
However my favorite dealership in Santa Fe, NM repeatedly told me that it wasn't worth spending the money. If a LR professional tells you this... Probably should listen to him/her.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99