LR4 5.0 Chain Guides actual problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a 2010 300k mile lr4 a few motnhs ago on original timing chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, the Castrol goes in like EEVOO or honey but pumps out like Hershey's syrup. I use a brand new Mahle filter with every change.

The Penzoil goes in a lot more clear, though. I think it's a natural gas-based oil.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, the Castrol goes in like EEVOO or honey but pumps out like Hershey's syrup. I use a brand new Mahle filter with every change.

Same here. And the last two oil changes were at 5k miles or less.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used oil can look darker than it really is. Put some on a white paper towel to get an idea of the true color. My last drain of Castrol with ~7k on it looked nearly black coming out, but on a paper towel it was dark-ish caramel brown.

Also keep in mind that some oils are different colors when new, not all are light golden honey color. And, very dark oil when draining isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means the oil is doing its job... keeping the engine internals clean.

:cool:

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that some oils are different colors when new, not all are light golden honey color. And, very dark oil when draining isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means the oil is doing its job... keeping the engine internals clean. :cool:

Not only the above differences note different smells with new oils. For some unknown reason to me Valvoline has the smell of a refinery mixed with sulfur base gear oil. On the bright side I have used Valvoline for over 45 years resulting with cleaner engine interiors that are in service at 150, 200 250K plus miles. Normal dark tan interiors at 300 plus with no sludge buildup. Tow service family friend I was on emergency standby 24/7 for years. His four wreckers all ran Pennzoil. By the third year running 24/7 they were smoking POS almost dead with interiors requiring putty knives to dig out caked sludge. I talked the owner into ordering two 55 gal drums of Valvoline for two wreckers. To his surprise the two with Valvoline ran past the five year date plus looked a lot cleaner inside. I recall being told "Pennzoil was wax based". Valvoline in everything having two and four wheels (LR) except the Ford Escape 3.0 with Motorcraft blend of synthetic and dino oil which the engine seems happy with plus also clean inside. Everyone has their personal favorite brands of oil. Refined used oil worked ok in the five dollar 56 Desoto Firedome Hemi car used in HS, it sure beat walking in winter LOL......~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used oil can look darker than it really is. Put some on a white paper towel to get an idea of the true color. My last drain of Castrol with ~7k on it looked nearly black coming out, but on a paper towel it was dark-ish caramel brown.

Yes, it is a bit lighter on a shop towel, but still pretty dark. After I evacuate the old oil and finish the job, I pump the old stuff into larger jugs that I take to the recycling station at the dump. The stuff is nearly black. It is definitely opaque. Engine runs smooth and quiet and is lag-free when I accelerate so I guess it's fine. Never had the oil tested.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72