LR4 Headlights Flicker?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eli4x4

Reaction score
That's great info ryanjl, thanks. On that note I think I have the halogen light on my 2012 and the driver side went out. Any recommendations for a better replacement light bulbs?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happening on my 2011 about a year or so ago (when it was about 5 years old), using the DDM HID kit. Thought the kit was going bad. Decided to change battery since I figured it was probably due for that, and the problem went away. May have been lucky, but you may want to check on the age of your battery, since you have 2012 (around 5 years old).

eli4x4

Reaction score
Again ryanjl great write out, thanks.
goblue95 I'll start with lights and then check on the battery, thanks.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, if you haven't checked your battery I would start there. Especially if you haven't changed it ever on your 2012. My dealer replaced my 2013 when it was just 3 years old. You might be overdue.

CJRover

Reaction score
Probably should. Makes sense. Dealer checked and said battery was fine. But maybe that's it. Thanks all!

max2105

Reaction score
Installing a relay wiring harness is very easy. Retroffiting an HID kit into a projector lens system such as the halogen projectors used in the LR4 will not negatively affect the beam pattern like it does in a reflector type system. I've done both and never had anyone flash their high beams at me because I'm blinding them (because I'm not). I've also driven my Mini Cooper in front of the LR4 and looked at the rear view mirror without being blinded and I have a very bright 55 Watt HID kit installed. It's a matter of aiming the beam height properly to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installing a relay wiring harness is very easy. Retroffiting an HID kit into a projector lens system such as the halogen projectors used in the LR4 will not negatively affect the beam pattern like it does in a reflector type system. I've done both and never had anyone flash their high beams at me because I'm blinding them (because I'm not). I've also driven my Mini Cooper in front of the LR4 and looked at the rear view mirror without being blinded and I have a very bright 55 Watt HID kit installed. It's a matter of aiming the beam height properly to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

Whether someone flashes their brights at you is not the sole indicator that a housing designed for a halogen bulb should not house an HID retrofit. The simple fact that the two systems create entirely different light sources should be indication enough that the reflecting technology used in each is entirely different.

On the LR4, for example, you may be projecting a lot of light with an HID retrofit, but it could very well be projecting it in places that aren't useful. For example, many such systems would project lots of light immediately in front of the vehicle, and not much to a distance or to either side. Such a system would be much worse than a standard halogen system of less candlepower that projects an even, well-dispersed light pattern.

max2105

Reaction score
I agree but I noticed more light EVERYWHERE than with the Halogen bulbs. Much more "useful" since I can see much better.....

rally3

Reaction score
The Climate control will cycle the front windshield on and off automatically if the outside temperature is cold enough....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM