LR4 - Heavy Duty Package Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
epiclr4,

Thanks. I will contact ARB tomorrow and see if they will give me an update. I will post what I hear from them. In the mean time I am still trying to find a White or Silver LR4 with the Heavy Duty package.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding the front ARB locker to an LR4 could be nice, but I still think I would prefer the factory rear locker over an ARB rear locker because of how it integrates in with terrain response and is a variable locker. The ARB is locked or unlocked, its not going to be able to partially lock like the LR one. (which can also fully lock, but normally doesn't need to unless you are in rock crawl.)

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I got hold of ARB and there tech department was great. They said that they do not make a rear locker for the LR4. They said there is not enough demand on the LR4 and the LR4 rear end is different than the L43. But because both the L43 and LR4 have the same front axle they just released a front locker last Friday. So I think an LR4 with the heavy duty package and if for doing very difficult 4 wheeling an ARB front locker would be awesome. Plus with on board air let you fill up your tires after airing down.

Jud

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
After a month of trying to find the perfect LR4 with the Heavy Duty Package, I found one completely loaded with $30,000 in off-road upgrades and bought it last week. It was a 2012 for a great price.

During my search across the country I did find two other very nice LR4's with the Heavy Duty Package. Both 2013 Demo's with super low miles on them. And April 1st Land Rover also has a $4,000 rebate. These both seem to be really good deals. And after talking to dozens of Land Rover Dealerships both these guys seem to be the very best to deal with. If your in the market for a Heavy Duty Package I would recommend either of these guys.

Chris Cuthburt
Delaware
White exterior, sliders, roof rack, ladder, light guards, Vision assist, Lux etc.

Warren Blevins
Land Rover Off road instructor
Jaguar Land Rover Asheville, NC
(828) 891-7493
Silver, Land Rover off-road school demo with Warn Winch

I have no financial interest in this. Just passing on two great deals with two stand up guys.

Jud

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris Cuthburt
Delaware
White exterior, sliders, roof rack, ladder, light guards, Vision assist, Lux etc.
Jud[/QUOTE]

Funny, I bought my LR3 from him in 2003 when he was at West Chester Landrover!

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a month of trying to find the perfect LR4 with the Heavy Duty Package, I found one completely loaded with $30,000 in off-road upgrades and bought it last week. It was a 2012 for a great price.

During my search across the country I did find two other very nice LR4's with the Heavy Duty Package. Both 2013 Demo's with super low miles on them. And April 1st Land Rover also has a $4,000 rebate. These both seem to be really good deals. And after talking to dozens of Land Rover Dealerships both these guys seem to be the very best to deal with. If your in the market for a Heavy Duty Package I would recommend either of these guys.

Chris Cuthburt
Delaware

Warren Blevins
Land Rover Off road instructor
Jaguar Land Rover Asheville, NC
(828) 891-7493
Silver, Land Rover off-road school demo with Warn Winch

I have no financial interest in this. Just passing on two great deals with two stand up guys.

Jud

Pics please. I've got to know what $30,000 in off-road upgrades looks like!
:driver:

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

My first post. I'm looking at acquiring a 2014MY LR4 and was looking for advice on the heavy duty package.

I had a very similar experience after speaking with a landrover salesperson the other day. I was told that the twin speed transfer box was only for "serious offroading" and would most benefit from not having it due to the weight savings.

In all honesty, I don't foresee using the LR4 offroad, except for possibly on a dirt or gravel road. However, I do expect to drive through heavy snow accumulations over a foot deep several times per year in Canada. Roads can also get very slippery with ice, snow and slush.

Would I benefit from the twin speed transfer box given my expected driving conditions, or should I rather save the extra cost of the heavy duty package?

Thanks!

A rather belated reply...If you are planning on driving through foot-deep snow, then the road is unplowed, presumably a side road, long driveway, etc. In these situations, I turn off traction control and have a blast - and thoroughly appreciate my locking diff (2011 HSE with HD package). Additionally, you will appreciate the HD pkg when the time comes to pull someone else out of a tight spot. Here in the North, we stop to help when someone is stuck. As others have noted, low range plus locking diff makes all the difference in being able to finesse out of a tough spot, vs having to muscle it (and break things).

Don't forget to get a high quality tow strap and a few clevis pins!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to get a high quality tow strap and a few clevis pins!

So what qualifies as a high quality tow strap? Guess I should start stocking up as I wait for the truck to arrive.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what qualifies as a high quality tow strap? Guess I should start stocking up as I wait for the truck to arrive.

Renegade Off Road has been really good to me, so I simple walked in and bought the CSI ******-Um strap and heavy duty clevis that they recommended. So far, having used it a few times, I'm very happy with it. As a bonus, it comes with a bag that also accommodates the hitch receiver and a few other accessories.

If you have an off-road shop that you trust, they should carry a good recovery strap and accessories.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
Here is my new LR4, it is a HSE LUX with DVD, Heavy Duty Package, Cold Climate Package, 20" wheel package, Satellite and Navigation, Vision Assist and black laquer package. This is the aftermarket things that have been done to it and/or included in the purchase.

Gap Controller

6 rigid LED light bars with custom mounts made then powder coated

Light relay switches for LED lights

Yakima ski racks with custom mounts

Land Rover Removable hitch and trailer wiring

5 - 18inch Compomotive Wheels

5 - BFG's AT Tires

5 - 20" Land rover wheels and tires

Tactical Rovers Front Bumper with custom mounts for vision assist

Remote controlled Warn Winch, synthetic line, Aluminum tie in points

Heavy duty compressor (so it wont overheat)

Rock sliders with custom made plate to cover the heavy duty compressor

Full tactical Rovers bottom skid plates

Full Magnaflow exhaust

Kaymar rear bumper with modified tire carrier so it would not cover the tail light. And then moved back up camera and license plate to integrate into tire carrier.

CB mounted under driver seat with all controls on the mic. Antenna integrated also into tire carrier

Urban Off-road custom roof rack with floor in it to protect the sun roofs

High Lift Jack with mounts for the roof rack

Phone and other aftermarket accessory mounts

Front head light covers

Rear tail light covers

Full rubber land rover floor mats

I was so glad to find one that already had this done to it. Saved me a lot of time and money.

Jud

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM