LR4 in need of a Half Rack, what are my options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Runner distributor EastCoast to WY ? LR4 in need of a Half Rack.

2012 LR4 Fuji white, with a ***** roof. Absolutely no rails at all, full, half or otherwise.

What are my options for a half rack?

Requirements:
-low profile
-lightweight

My research keeps bringing me back to Front Runner Slimline Half Rack and Urban Off-road.

One installs with the need for my to buy extra rails while the other requires the factory rails?

Edit:
I need a Front Runner distributor with a full rack and Roof top tent in sick tomorrow or the next day. I'm leaving from GA tomorrow.

Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 LR4 Fuji white, with a ***** roof. Absolutely no rails at all, full, half or otherwise.

What are my options for a half rack?

Requirements:
-low profile
-lightweight

My research keeps bringing me back to Front Runner Slimline Half Rack and Urban Off-road.

One installs with the need for my to buy extra rails while the other requires the factory rails?

You pretty much nailed it. Both are decent products. I have the full front runner rack now, former urban rack as well. The Urban is truly low profile so if you are really constrained for instance for garage parking, that is where you need to go.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voyager rack has a half rack that fits without any rails (short or full). I actually would go with the Front Runner, as I had a Voyager and Urban.

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, says a lot that you both vote for front runner having had the other racks.

NAS,
How is the wind noise on the Full Front Runner?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, says a lot that you both vote for front runner having had the other racks.

NAS,
How is the wind noise on the Full Front Runner?
I like the design of the front runner, for my purposes, I ultimately went with the Baja Rack. I love the Baja Rack and it's definitely a utilitarian option with lots of mounting points and useful space (including jerry can holders). I liked my full-sized Urban Offroad rack, as it contoured the roof line very nicely, but it had a poor use of space and not much flooring. I use the chicken coop flooring, but I really like the overall flooring of the Baja Rack. The one big negative about the Urban Offroad full rack is that it is noisy - like a jet engine above your LR4 - even with the fairing!!!

I had the Voyager half-rack and I liked it, though had a few issues with peeling and rusting, though I liked the rack and it was quiet.

I think the Front Runner rack has very minimal road noise from what I heard.

Good luck!!!

Reaction score
I just followed the link for the front runner slimline half rack that LOMartin referenced in his original post and according to Amazon, this rack does not fit the 2012 Land Rover LR4's or mine (2010 LR4). This is from the "Check Fit" tool in the upper right corner of the amazon webpage. Am i missing something?

Does anyone have a link to where I can get the original 2010 LR4 factory rails?

Thanks in advance!

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TN: Amazon is wrong. I cheapest I found the half rials is from Miami British $350'ish I think.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for factory rails

I went with the full factory rails with no regrets. I don't hear any noise from them, and they only add ~3/4" of height. Although 3/4 length would have been enough, I went ahead and got the full length for flexibility.

They have been up there for ~2 years and well used with Thule crossbars.

I got them from Land Rover Rocklin - great prices and support.
http://landrover.niello.com/accessories.php

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9