LR4 Navigation Update...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand just for me not an option.

No it's not... in my other vehicles it works quite well without issue and shares the same data as WAZE and GOOG.

Well right off the bat it will be ok, . but once a vehicle gets to be six years old the hardware etc that is installed will be dreadfully outclassed by whatever new **** bang stuff is out there. Like trying to use a 10 year old laptop and pushing modern applications with it. I laugh as my kids try to play with the nav screen in my 2010. They ask? Why won't it respond when I touch the screen? I say wait and count to 5 lol.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered the update...$164 with tax and shipping, while free would be nice, and quite frankly, should be included, it seems like a steal compared to the 170 p/hr my dealer charges...$870 for my 6 year service, $265 to replace one radiator hose...ughh. Planning on opening the garage door 1/3 of the way and leave the vehicle running during the update, or I guess I could do it during a road trip. Any lessons learned from anyone who has done this?

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well right off the bat it will be ok, . but once a vehicle gets to be six years old the hardware etc that is installed will be dreadfully outclassed by whatever new **** bang stuff is out there. Like trying to use a 10 year old laptop and pushing modern applications with it. I laugh as my kids try to play with the nav screen in my 2010. They ask? Why won't it respond when I touch the screen? I say wait and count to 5 lol.

agreed but the vehicle itself as whole would be as well. the lr4 debuted dated and behind the times compared to other vehicles in it's price range regarding chassis, motor and tech. the way the automotive industry is going it seems that these will no longer be akin to durable goods but more so to computer/phone tech where it is evolves quickly and will something someone changes every three to five years. look at the "new" Q7... when it debuted it was one of the most advanced tech laden vehicles on the road; two years later the Q8 comes out and the Q7 looks like it's already behind the times. same with the F15 X5 vs. G05 X5. i would never own a vehicle this far out as a primary vehicle and only as a secondary or even tertiary which is what our '12 is. so for me being outdated isn't an issue, i purchased it for it's ability and offroad capability not because it is a tech marvel full of wonderment and novelty.

Any lessons learned from anyone who has done this?

once you plug it do not remove the usb until the update is completed otherwise you will brick your system and the only way to restore it is installing a new "brain".

Last edited:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so for me being outdated isn't an issue, i purchased it for it's ability and offroad capability not because it is a tech marvel full of wonderment and novelty
Which is precisely why I consider my "phone" to be the tech marvel and just did what you don't like and mounted and hid the wires as best as I could.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very well then. it's a peeve of mine. in the past when i had detectors and jammers i always went with a stealth unit because i couldn't deal with the v1 being so obvious and bulky even when hard wired.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use a cell phone ap. Waze in the city gives real time re-routing depending on traffic and off road you can get great GPS programs (Currently use Avenzia or Moto-X) and download awesome topographic overlay maps. I haven't used my 2010 Nav for many years now and don't miss it.

You can also adjust the nav voice to Queen's English lol.

I use Keith Morrison (from Dateline) in Waze to make my navigation instructions extra creepy.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when people were uploading different voices for their TomTom. If I recall correctly the most popular at the time was SnoopDogg or Morgan Freeman.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additional information if anyone is still interested... As of right now v30.18 is the most current. It was released in September of 2018. There are no planned updates in the near future and nothing would be scheduled for release until December 2019 if there was anything in the works.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to update the firmware version in one of our LR4 without having to visit the dealership.
Does anyone on here have the most current firmware or access to it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72