LR4 Owner Considering Disco 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda want to drive a 5L defender.

I’ve had the same thoughts, have you seen the leaks for the bigger defender that has been in testing for over a year now? It’s likely to take the name “SVX” which they intended on giving to the D5 but bailed last minute. Registration forms say it has the bmw N63, 4.4L TTV8.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the same thoughts, have you seen the leaks for the bigger defender that has been in testing for over a year now? It’s likely to take the name “SVX” which they intended on giving to the D5 but bailed last minute. Registration forms say it has the bmw N63, 4.4L TTV8.

I will have to check that out -- I heard they were stuffing the N63 (from bmw / the L460) into the Defender sometime in 2024 (as a MY25), but didn't realize they were using the 130 body. Dunno -- the turbo would probably be better than supercharger since I live at altitude, but as with the 5L defender, I assume I'm going to have to live with 20" wheels (instead of the 18s on the LR4).

As much as I'd love a newer ride with modern tech and a plusher ride, I keep coming back to the fact that nothing really replaces the LR4. Same length as a Camry (easy parking downtown), long enough to sleep in, tall enough to carry furniture or bike standing upright, lower tailgate is perfect to make coffee or put spikes / snowshoes on. Even the Defender 130 somehow has less cargo space than the LR4 despite being 2 feet longer. Hell, if the FFRR seats folded flat, that would be an interesting solution too - just to have the tailgate.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to check that out -- I heard they were stuffing the N63 (from bmw / the L460) into the Defender sometime in 2024 (as a MY25), but didn't realize they were using the 130 body. Dunno -- the turbo would probably be better than supercharger since I live at altitude, but as with the 5L defender, I assume I'm going to have to live with 20" wheels (instead of the 18s on the LR4).

As much as I'd love a newer ride with modern tech and a plusher ride, I keep coming back to the fact that nothing really replaces the LR4. Same length as a Camry (easy parking downtown), long enough to sleep in, tall enough to carry furniture or bike standing upright, lower tailgate is perfect to make coffee or put spikes / snowshoes on. Even the Defender 130 somehow has less cargo space than the LR4 despite being 2 feet longer. Hell, if the FFRR seats folded flat, that would be an interesting solution too - just to have the tailgate.
That’s the biggest disappointment with the new Defender. Cargo space.

I’m going to buy a 110 eventually, probably within a year or so, but I’m keeping my LR4. There isn’t much that is comparable.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found another Disco II that is a 2003 HSE 7 seat model in "White Metallic Gold". Guy is retired and bought it years ago and never got around to restoring it. Says it has some electrical issue that slowly drains the battery. (Alternator? Ground?). Sure is tempting. Saw a video where they swapped out the 4.6L engine for an LS small block (on top of $15,000 of other modifications, mostly to the suspension) and boy did that Disco II look sharp. By the time you get done doing all that, basically all you have left that's an LR is the body.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly not a reason to buy one, but my favorite part was the tire covers with different locations and safari prints on them. I think if the LR4 had a stock rear tire carrier, it may be perfect.
I love the jump seats and safari glass on the roof, just not the potential issues that they come with. I once stopped a lady to ask her about hers; it was mint, and about 10yrs old. She said she loved hers and never had an issue with it, and she owned it since new. Made me really consider one until I kept reading forums about their issues. I think she had a unicorn…

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rear tire carrier, it increases the compact length. It's one of the biggest drawbacks to the new defender.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rear tire carrier, it increases the compact length. It's one of the biggest drawbacks to the new defender.

The rear bumper on the D1 stuck out as much as the tire did.

IMG_3450.jpeg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree with you on increasing length, but it is a pain to get our spare out. I do a 5 tire rotation, so I am doing it frequently. Not as bad at home.

I got a flat as I was driving to a camping trip and was able to change it in a gas station, but I had to take a ton of crap out of the back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72