LR4 Owner Considering Disco 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my 2011 LR4 HSE Lux and am really enjoying it. However, I saw a Disco 2 for sale locally on Craigslist that is really cool and another that hasn't had anything done with it that could potentially be restored (project). Does the Disco 2 make any sense or would I be better served by modifying my existing LR4?

1692375267227.png

1692375331010.png

By the way, the potential project Disco 2 could be had for dirt cheap (initially).

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the LR4 is a Toyota Camry compared to a D2 in terms of reliability.

Don’t listen to me though I’d be driving one if I didn’t have kids. They don’t crash well.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out. Wild third row seats with headrests to come down from the headliner. That can't be standard, right? And the gear in the rear door? Lots of character.
1692379182894.png

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with one or the other. I'm liking my LR4 but today I couldn't pass a RAM truck getting on the freeway. He did have the jump on me but I need more power now. Stepping down to a disco 2 would hurt even though it is a classic. It depends on what you want really. I'm wanting that tap engine now.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with one or the other. I'm liking my LR4 but today I couldn't pass a RAM truck getting on the freeway. He did have the jump on me but I need more power now. Stepping down to a disco 2 would hurt even though it is a classic. It depends on what you want really. I'm wanting that tap engine now.
The 5.0 powered LR4 is a missile compared to anything from before its time. Modern trucks from the last 3-4 years are absolutely insane with power. It’s completely unnecessary to have more. I found my D1 to be perfectly adequate and it always had plenty of low end torque.

But wanting more? You can always want more.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@powershift I feel ya. The LR4 is nicer and I wouldn't trade it straight across. I just saw the Disco 2 that was all decked out and thought it was a really cool ride. I'm tempted by that Tapa engine too. Took a drive of over 600 miles round trip last weekend through Eastern Washington State and the flow of traffic had to be 80-90 mph. I was cruising along at 65 mph and felt like a road cone blocking the slow lane. I could have gone a bit faster, but it would have felt like I was pushing it. I can accelerate to 80 mph, or more, but again, it feels forced. Not sure if it is just engine though. It might be everything - suspension, wind drag, transmission, etc. Just not sure it's designed to do well at highway speeds or maybe it needs to be in near perfect condition to do so.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disco 2 might be fun offroad, but the LR4 has advanced traction control so again the LR4 is better. I think if you like the disco body style that would be convincing. In the case of 80-90 MPH traffic, I'd push the pedal down farther and relax. If the gas pedal isn't on the floor then then it will accelerate more.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never felt much love for the Disco 2. Dream would be a Disco 1 with the reliability of my LR4. I had a Disco 1 for about a year back in 1998 to 1999. Only had about 22k miles on it but it was constantly having small little issues, and I overbought and didn't have enough money to maintain it properly (first car out of undergrad).

Sold it and bought my FJ60, which I daily drove for about a year or so.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72