LR4 Rear ended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elfrey

Reaction score
Got rear ended over the weekend travelling to Dallas from Fort Smith AR. Wondering if anyone has had a similar situation? This has to de-value my LR4?

I had the tow hitch installed at the time and it was ripped from the cross member of the frame. I assume this will be an expensive repair.

All things considered, I am glad I own an LR4, if this had happened in my wife’s Acura TSX, our son and his girlfriend would still be in the hospital or worse. This happened in a 55 MPH zone.

Attachments

• LR4.JPG
    LR4.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 110
  • LR4, 2.jpg
    LR4, 2.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 112
  • LR4, 3.jpg
    LR4, 3.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 102

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the accident. I think you will be able to get the tailgate and whatnot fixed and it should be fine. Hard to really know without getting into it, but I would guess its not in bad shape.

edit: I see the side panel is damaged on the passenger side, that may complicate things. Let us know.

Remember folks, leaving the tow hitch on is NOT going to improve the crash worthiness of your vehicle. It will do what happened here, it will tear things up.

The vehicle is designed for rear impact without the hitch installed. It is less safe to have it on all the time. The force of impact is not distributed correctly when its in place. It is so easy to remove the hitch when not in use. I really don't get why people leave them on all the time. It is very common though, I even seen minivans with them on all the time, and you can tell they never tow a damn thing.

Let us know how it turns out and what was damaged. I would love to see more detailed images of the underbody, etc.

elfrey

Reaction score
Panel was not damaged on the passenger side. The car basically wedged under, the hit was a little off center and damaged the passenger side exhaust. Lower tailgate was pushed into the cab a little as well.

My concern is a carfax will show it has been hit, I know I would be really leary about buying a vehicle with an accident unless it was a great deal.

I got lazy and left the hitch on, I generally remove it, it doesn't enhance the look of the LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about the accident, but glad everyone is safe. There have been a few of these posts and it is amazing what a beating the LR4 can take. I know it was a rear-end collision, but it looked pretty serious.

I am glad everyone is safe. Not sure about the accident being reported to CarFax? I once got side swiped in my old ML350 and it never seemed to show up on the report when I traded it in at the dealership.

-David

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should check the police reports carefully, since CarFax seems to rely on those when reporting an accident for a vehicle. When I traded in another SUV to purchase my LR4, it showed that my trade-in was in an accident (it had been rear-ended) but it also showed that the airbags had deployed on our car (which did not happen, since it was read-ended). The police report had the airbag box checked for the incorrect vehicle, so CarFax couldn't correct it without getting a corrected police report (and the accident happened about 2 years earlier). The dealer said that the airbag deployment note reduces the trade-in/wholesale value by quite a bit more, since it indicates a more serious accident. They inspected the car and believed me about only being rear-ended, but since they were sending the car to a wholesale auctioneer, it was going to impact the value no matter what (since the incorrect CarFax report would follow the car). They worked with me a little, and I tried to contact CarFax, but by the time I would have gotten it corrected (if ever), it wouldn't have been worth the wait.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your car's resale/trade-in value will definitely be affected adversely by a Carfax accident report. If you keep the car long enough(4+ years), natural depreciation will mitigate significantly the accident-related loss

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72