LR4 Rear Hatch Anomaly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin v

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post, although I have been reading and learning a lot here over the past year.

The rear hatch on our 2010 LR4 will allow one opening after the ignition has been turned off. After that it will not open. There is no solenoid sound, no sign of a motor struggling, nothing. To open the hatch again we need to cycle the ignition button on and off (without starting the engine), after which we can again open the hatch once. It's almost as if it is programmed to do this. Is this some sort of a security feature? If so I'd like to turn it off!

I've read about rear hatch actuator failures, and the difficulty of replacing it once it is dead, so if it is failing I would rather replace it now, but it seems to be functioning fine otherwise. Any thoughts?

Martin

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@lobosmd reported the same sort of symptom not long ago at this thread: https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/lr4-tailgate-not-opening.40021/page-3#post-230512

Maybe they will report back if the problem was fixed.

As mentioned in that thread - problems generally seem to be traced to the actuator. For most of us, the actuator problems don’t seem to trip codes, but we had at least one person whose actuator was failing and it was tripping a code that would shut the circuit down. Wonder if that’s part of what’s going on here - maybe the code is resetting when you cycle the ignition. Do you have a scanner to check for codes?

Martin v

Reaction score
Thanks jlglr4 for the link to the thread. Your theory seems quite plausible. I don't have a scanner, but plan on getting one. I think I will go ahead and replace the actuator, and perhaps put in a release cable while I'm at it.

Martin

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude…i had the same exact issue as you. Actually we all have. Eventually there will be a day where cycling the car on and off will not make the hatch open. I nursed mine along that way for 2 years until it quit on me and it was a b*t*ch to get it to open to replace the actuator. And if it does get replaced with the new actuator it still probably won’t work. The car sets a BCM fault that cuts power to the actuator and it needs to be reset with a code tool that resets BCM codes. Some have had success just changing the actuator however. Word of advice. Take care of it now before it stops opening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut