LR4 Rear Mud Flap Installation Instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icfantv

Reaction score
Hey all, first post. I just got the rear mud flaps and installed them myself and since I couldn't find any instructions online anywhere (and since the paper instructions are just shy of worthless) I figured I'd post my experience and pictures. See my blog post for the details.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great article! I installed all 4 last night on 2011 LR4. It took about an hour, with "assistance" from my 3 yr old.

Definitely off road height is very helpful. On the front, turn the wheels to get them out of the way (turned to the right while working on the right side, etc).

On the rear, cool exhaust system is definitely necessary! (you will be hugging the exhaust pipe).

I ran through a car wash with good undercarriage blast first - that makes any undercar job less messy.

Right angle power screwdriver made the job a lot easier - but be careful! (those screws are pretty easy to strip).

When I removed the screws for the fronts there handfuls of rotting leaves behind the plastic panels. I used a garden hose to clean all of the mud and leaves out. Rear had quite a bit of mud and a few leaves to clean out.

On the rear there is a little tab behind the exhaust heat shield that you have to connect to. On one side there were glops of undercarriage protectant that had to be carefully chipped away for the blue screw insert to fit properly. Fortunately there is a heavy basecoat, so no metal exposed.

Screw order: On the front, start at the top and work down. This makes the job a LOT easier. On the rear, start in the middle, then top and finally bottom.

For some good Brit videos, see:
How to fit front mudflaps to a Land Rover Discovery 3 /4 - YouTube
How to fit rear mudflaps to a Land Rover Discovery 3 / 4 - YouTube

They fit beautifully, and are nice and tight. This is important here in snow country!

icfantv

Reaction score
Huh. It never occurred to me to turn the front wheels to install the front mud flaps. I wound up using an 8mm socket to remove the top two screws and a Phillips for the bottom.

I waited until our two-year old was in bed before doing the rear ones. Glad it was helpful.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I waited until our two-year old was in bed before doing the rear ones. Glad it was helpful.

Haha, I have to do the same as well... I can't do anything "personal" until the little guy is asleep.

I find myself in the garage at 11 PM making a racket with the tools and my sleepiness on top of it cause all sorts of personal injuries! :help:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I have to do the same as well... I can't do anything "personal" until the little guy is asleep.

I find myself in the garage at 11 PM making a racket with the tools and my sleepiness on top of it cause all sorts of personal injuries! :help:

X3. Just wrapped up the Traxide install after putting our 2 yr old twins to bed. Only time of day I can get anything done. Glad the daylight is longer and the garage has fluorescents.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, you're so lucky. It's only 8 PM here in Cali... I'm waiting patiently to hit the garage but still have a few more hours of waiting.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of mud flaps :hmpf: Maybe now we're going to snow country might find them useful/necessary.

I also look forward to trading drives around the beach in loose sand for drives in the snow :proud:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of mud flaps :hmpf: Maybe now we're going to snow country might find them useful/necessary.

I also look forward to trading drives around the beach in loose sand for drives in the snow :proud:
I really miss driving in the snow. I grew up with it and had it for most of my life until I moved to CA about six years ago. I will say, however, that the most annoying part of living in CT in the winter (especially along the shoreline) is that they do not salt (which is good), but rather they use HUGE pieces of sand/gravel to sand the roads. When I lived in CT, I had to have my windshield replaced about 4 times - ugh!!! My insurance company told me that CT was their #1 state for windshield repair/replace claims because of the sand they use on the roads in the winter. The LR4 sits a bit higher compared to my BMW 330xi and Mercedes E320 wagon, so hopefully you will be fine.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I attempted the rears this weekend. Fronts fitted but got frustrated after 30 mins of trying; damn rear end. Plus the fronts look a little off off to me. I'll take a pic and gather thoughts - opinions - speculations on my less than expert install. ha

Fitted new wipers f/r as well as my FULL ROOF RACK. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM