LR4 Starting Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwscfa

Reaction score
I took delivery of a LR4 HSE Lux Plus last week and it has less than 750 miles. On two different occasions, the car would not start and I got a warning message in the center display to put my foot on the brake pedal. Both times my foot was on the brake pedal and the car would not start. After repeatedly taking my foot off the brake and pressing the start button the car finally started but this is not a good beginning for a 60K car just delivered. Anyone else having this problem?

ange

Reaction score
This happened to me too!

Hi this happened to me this past week. The first time it happened I thought maybe I drained the battery by leaving a light on. I called Land Rover Assistance and they came to jump it. My car is only two weeks old with 295 miles on it and filled up with gas only once since I took ownership. When the service guy came he was able to start the car and said the battery was fine. When I was trying to start the car the break basically felt like it was locked and I could not push down on it. The ignition would come on but then shut off but the engine would not come on because I was unable to push down on the break the warning display said to push on the brake to start which I was doing. It finally started like I said when the service guy came. So I sent him on his way. HE did mention that he had gotten a few call like this in the past where a landrover owner could not start there car and then it started. The reason being exactly like mine! It happened to me a second time that day after having my car sat in my garage all day and right before I had to go pick up my kids from school. Again I call this time for a tow to the dealer But when the tow came he tried starting it and it worked for him so we did this several times because I wanted him to see that I did have a problem. He acknowledge the problem as he saw the difficulty I had with the start. This car is brand spanking new and I am very discouraged that I have problems already. The car sits in service as I type this and the service person there seems to not see a problem with my car. I found this forum and see that there is some ppl who had this issue come up. I am very concerned and discouraged. I have enjoyed driving my car to this point. But it should not be hard to start a car I have been driving for two weeks.

2011 LR4 Fuji White HSE with LUX pkge

Last edited:

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily I haven't had this happen to me (yet!) ... next time it happens, take a picture to document it. If you still can get it resolved, escallate to Land Rover Corporate.

ange

Reaction score
Hi this happened to me this past week. The first time it happened I thought maybe I drained the battery by leaving a light on. I called Land Rover Assistance and they came to jump it. My car is only two weeks old with 295 miles on it and filled up with gas only once since I took ownership. When the service guy came he was able to start the car and said the battery was fine. When I was trying to start the car the brake basically felt like it was locked and I could not push down on it. The ignition would come on but then shut off but the engine would not come on because I was unable to push down on the break the warning display said to push on the brake to start which I was doing. It finally started like I said when the service guy came. So I sent him on his way. HE did mention that he had gotten a few call like this in the past where a landrover owner could not start there car and then it started. The reason being exactly like mine! It happened to me a second time that day after having my car sat in my garage all day and right before I had to go pick up my kids from school. Again I call this time for a tow to the dealer But when the tow came he tried starting it and it worked for him so we did this several times because I wanted him to see that I did have a problem. He acknowledge the problem as he saw the difficulty I had with the start. This car is brand spanking new and I am very discouraged that I have problems already. The car sits in service as I type this and the service person there seems to not see a problem with my car but is keeping it still to continue investigating. I found this forum and see that there is some ppl who had this issue come up. I am very concerned and discouraged. I have enjoyed driving my car to this point. But it should not be hard to start a car I have been driving for two weeks.

2011 LR4 Fuji White HSE with LUX pkge I previously and still own a Mercedes GL 450 with keyless start and I have never had an issue with starts.

***The service advisor saw the problem when I took the car in as well.***** And acknowledge that there was something not right

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have seen on the LR4, my current 750 and previous A8 (all with keyless start) was that on occasion, the car woud say that the smart key wasn't found. If you hold up the key to the bottom or side of the steering column, this typically resolves this. Must be some sort of RF interference condition.

ange

Reaction score
Problem is still not resolved and I am getting very discouraged. Should I call corporate?

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is time to start putting the pressure on: persistently, yet politely accelerating it to the next level.

ange

Reaction score
They offered to buy back the vehicle and we could upgrade to a RR HSE , but it came with us taking a huge loss on the car we purchased that I literally drove for two weeks and had legitimate problems with that they will not document or acknowledge! The loss for us totals 11k on a car we paid 63K for MAY 17th! On a vehicle that they will turn around and sell and profit from again ( oh they do acknowledge issues with the car in subtle ways to our faces to make us think that they are working with us). Also they kept my car at service for 6 days without any updates or calls to me. Why no daily documentation?

It still remains at the dealership because we feel that this situation has not be appropriately documented and no proper resolution that makes sense has materialized. They should be seeking us out and trying to help us instead we have been the ones emailing and calling to get answers.

I am soooooo disappointed. The SAFETY of my family is my top priority I cannot say I feel very comfortable taking back a car that has an unresolved problem and they have speculated was perhaps me not starting the vehicle correctly!
I have driven cars with keyless start and with keys and I think I know how to start a car!

LR Dealers should not be downplaying serious concerns. Especially with brakes and starting. WE feel that we are being treated very poorly. Our next step will be to take it to corporate if they do not make a sensible resolution today.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how it is that one is losing $11k if they are buying the car back.
You need to have the deal reversed and go back to square one, and then make a decision if you want to move to the RRS or RR HSE. Either one of those would be signicantly more expensive than the LR4

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9