LR4...the best. Still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Good to hear that our vehicles (LR4's) can go the distance. Reading some of the posts makes you want to run out and get rid of anything LR asap because you're afraid the thing will "go belly up" at any time. I've had numerous quirks with my LR4 but then I've had Toyota's that messed up quite a bit as well!

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure hope the new Defender is more "Land Roverish"!

Unfortunately, the new Defender will never be able to offer the same ride quality/attributes and drive characteristics as LR3/4 simply due to the lack of IBF.

It may be a very nice and taut drive, but the fact is the new Defender can never offer that carved-out-of-stone, built like a tank, super well-planted, unflappable, buttoned down city and freeway ride quality of an LR3/4 (despite LR4' unfortunate firmer suspension setup) at 70 mph cutting through those cross winds in an open area, with a sense of comfort and safety, due to the absence of that heft/mass with lower center of gravity which is provided by the IBF in an LR3/4.

Last edited:

pceresia

Reaction score
I have a 2016 LR4 HSE Luxury which I love. Previously I had a 2010 LR4. Interesting to hear your opinion of the Discovery. Just a very expensive Ford Explorer from my perspective although the Explorer does have a much better infotainment system.

When its time to replace this LR4, I'll be looking at a new Defender or Range Rover Sport. I haven't had many service issues but I don't understand why you have to mortgage your first born to get a dealer brake job - maybe there is something to be said for an Explorer

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also like my LR4 better than any D5 loaner I have had. We all expect the Defender to be a better LR4 replacement than the D5. However, when I do the "build yours" on the LR website, the Defender and D5 both come out to $75K with the options I want. That creates the dilemma of do I want the extra space/leather seats/more luxury that the D5 offers for the same price? And I'll surely pay sticker price for a Defender while a D5 will have a significant discount.
Uh oh... I hadn't done the "build yours" yet.
I'm at 100K on my 2013 and I took my 2005 to ~235K before I did not feel it was reliable for long family trips (and frankly interior trim items were giving out faster than the exterior). So, I figured when it's time I would probably take a hard look at the Defender as I will not be buying a Discovery.

From a quick glance, the only thing I really will miss is the tailgate. I know that swinging door is a legacy item, but it serves no purpose for me, will make it impossible to pack the car up in the garage, and is just going to be a hazard on a windy beach. So, barring that I figured as long as the seats fold flat in the Defender it'd be my next ride.

I guess I'll see what's out there whenever the need arises. If not the Defender, maybe it'll be the last LR4 they made or finally someone will have made an offroad capable electric SUV worth buying.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh oh... I hadn't done the "build yours" yet.
I'm at 100K on my 2013 and I took my 2005 to ~235K before I did not feel it was reliable for long family trips (and frankly interior trim items were giving out faster than the exterior). So, I figured when it's time I would probably take a hard look at the Defender as I will not be buying a Discovery.

From a quick glance, the only thing I really will miss is the tailgate. I know that swinging door is a legacy item, but it serves no purpose for me, will make it impossible to pack the car up in the garage, and is just going to be a hazard on a windy beach. So, barring that I figured as long as the seats fold flat in the Defender it'd be my next ride.

I guess I'll see what's out there whenever the need arises. If not the Defender, maybe it'll be the last LR4 they made or finally someone will have made an offroad capable electric SUV worth buying.
Bollinger
$150k

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Took my 2016 LR4, which I purchased in April this year, to an off-road area for the first time where I used to take the Disco's and LR3 to see how it stacked up. Tried all the Terrain Select modes and had no problems at all with any setting. The area is basically loose rock and boulders plus some mud and ruts with very steep rocky slopes. Dang, the lockers never even engaged and I experienced no wheel slip! The area was overrun with built jeeps and ATV's and those owners just gawked and pointed as I followed them. I then tried the same areas with no "Special Programs" and the damn thing did just as well! Not sure what it will take to really challenge this vehicle as I will apparently give up before it does!

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 2016 LR4, which I purchased in April this year, to an off-road area for the first time where I used to take the Disco's and LR3 to see how it stacked up. Tried all the Terrain Select modes and had no problems at all with any setting. The area is basically loose rock and boulders plus some mud and ruts with very steep rocky slopes. Dang, the lockers never even engaged and I experienced no wheel slip! The area was overrun with built jeeps and ATV's and those owners just gawked and pointed as I followed them. I then tried the same areas with no "Special Programs" and the damn thing did just as well! Not sure what it will take to really challenge this vehicle as I will apparently give up before it does!
No HD pack?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM