LR4 windshield sensors - which one does what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weingarm

Reaction score
I have an '11 LR4 HSE LUX model with the vision assist package.

I've been wondering what the function is of each of the windshield sensors. I took a picture of my windshield and labeled the sensors 1, 2, and 3. [FYI- this picture is taken from slightly below #1 and slightly above #2 & #3]

I think their functions are as follows. Let me know if anyone knows I'm wrong (and please correct me):

1 = Rain sensor for automatic wipers
2 = Sensor for auto-on headlamps and automatic highbeams
3 = Light sensor for the auto-dimming rear view mirror

Also, does anyone think that my EZ-Pass box (the white square above #3) would be blocking or inhibiting the light that #3 receives? As far as I can tell, the auto-dimming rear view mirror and auto-on headlamps/automatic highbeams work as they should.

Has anyone else with an EZ-Pass put it in a different location?

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I've never paid attention to all those sensors but I also have texas' version of the box and I have it located on the opposite side of where you have it. Basically, the driver side of the rear view mirror up in the black shaded area since it's already hard to see through. Ours is smaller so it fully fits in that shaded area.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 - Rain / Light sensor (detects both rain for auto wipers and <100 lux ambient light to turn on auto headlights)

2 - High Beam Assist camera / image sensor

3 - High Beam Assist ambient light sensor (detects <1 lux ambient light to turn on high beams.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99