LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Disco will be built on the same - probably stretched a bit - aluminum platform as the new 2013+ Range Rover and 2014+ Range Rover Sport, most likely using the same engines, trannies, EAS system, and the bulk of the electronics. It'll be a new model alright, but most of the components have already been "road tested" for a few years in other models (which have had their own teething problems but seem to have improved of late), so hopefully reliability won't be as much of an issue as most people think "new Land Rover"... My 2006 Sport was extremely reliable in its first year, thanks to the R&D Land Rover did on the 2005 LR3 - virtually the same car under the skin.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, NO, it is not "superstition", it is fact. New release vehicles have a much higher rate of TGW and NVH that futures revs. That is 100% true. There is no pixie dust or devil's brew here. FACT.

I've done extensive research in the field and have significant experience with TGW measurement spanning new release and models that have been in market over multiple model years. To suggest any different shows a complete lack of knowledge about it or a contrary to the point financial interest.

Sorry to be so blunt, by I do happen to be an expert in this area. First year models (on average) will always have a higher warranty cost per vehicle than their same platform, subsequent model years. Always.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2007 LR3 presented the culmination of many updates and tweaks and on the books I am sure it has been more reliable than the 2005 and 2006 model years as far as Land Rover is concerned, especially in pure dollars and cents spent on warranty work.

I think the thorgal is just using a more subjective metric. The LR3 was such a relaibility improvement over the D2 that it seemed like a Honda, but it had plenty of little things. Just not big ones like the D2 and that is what people tend to remember.

The point being that a few trips to the dealer for software updates or small part replacements is no big deal if that is all it would be compared to waiting 2 years for those kinks to be ironed out.

Of course, hindsight is 20-20 and you just never know. Look at the issues with the roof buffeting on the 2015 GM SUVs! Stuff still happens even with modern technology.

Davidinseattle is just presenting the pure facts over all manufacturers. We all want to belive LR will beat the odds, again!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had one of the first 2014 Acura MDXs - actually the first to leave my dealer's lot. It was a mistake. Numerous issues and many simply could not be fixed. So many changes and new things introduced that I had not anticipated. Many were software, others were not. And the techs at the dealership most often stumped. They new me by name and their standard answer was, "here is the number for corporate customer support". Now that said, the mid-year 2014 models had already addressed a couple of things. Other fixes didn't show up until just recently. There are a lot of them on the road now and I expect people love them for their intended use. But I would never have been able to bring that 2014 up to the level of fit and finish and robustness that the 2016s have. As it was, I realized I would need an off road vehicle and did not want to use the MDX for that - so I am a very happy LR4 owner. But I learned a lesson about gambling on the first year or even 2 of a new model.

I'm expecting that when it comes time to replace my LR4 I'm going to need to fall back to a Land Cruiser. Since the recent LC has a number of changes including an 8-speed transmission I am counting on my LR4 to last long enough for that release of the LC to prove itself out. So maybe a 2018 model.

BTW, I doubt I'll be considering the Discovery (or whatever they call it) as I am expecting a reduction in towing capacity/stability and if anything I would need an increase. So the LC is likely to be my best option for a luxury, offroad-adequate, travel-trailer towing SUV even though I hate their lack of ingenuity and attention to the interior cargo space and seating. And I'll miss a number of awesome features on the LR4. I hope I'll be surprised by the Discovery. I hope it will have big windows like the LR4 and LC. I hope it will have a usable split tailgate. I hope it will have solid, stable towing capacity with weigh distribution hitches that exceeds 7500 lbs. I presume that it will have 4L and all the off road goodies the LR4 and LC have. I hope it will retain the amazingly configurable and sizeable cargo space. I hope... but for know I'll just continue to love my LR4 which should not hit 120K before 2019. ;-)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually considering trading up my LR4 for the new Raptor. Completely different vehicles, but seeing as I live in the desert, the Raptor would be a hell of a lot more fun. I might be swayed down the road for whatever Defender they cook up, but LR need to make it pretty off-road focused and get away from all the soccer mom designs they keep crapping out.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually considering trading up my LR4 for the new Raptor. Completely different vehicles, but seeing as I live in the desert, the Raptor would be a hell of a lot more fun. I might be swayed down the road for whatever Defender they cook up, but LR need to make it pretty off-road focused and get away from all the soccer mom designs they keep crapping out.

Oh yes that sounds like a great choice!!! I've been waiting to see the new one in the metal (on the road) before possibly heading that route as well.

Anyway, after looking up the acronyms (yes I worked in the car manufacturing industry but in Germany and in a different field), I am not sure how valid these measurements are from a customer stand point.
I could care less of what it costs to the manufacturer to fix these issues as long as I get my vehicle back in a timely manner and get an appropriate loaner (hey! I even get to put less miles on my own car).
Oh I just remembered we're talking about Land Rover here ;)

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I am sure it's no surprise, the LR5 was a no show at the NY auto show, which, its continued absence might be a bit of a red flag. I spoke with one of the JLR guys there who was said the only information he had is that is was doubtful that it would be called an "LR5".

So, there you go. Nothing more than we already knew.

They did have a pretty sweet looking Range Rover SVR (see pics)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    FullSizeRender (16).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • FullSizeRender (17).jpg
    FullSizeRender (17).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen a couple SVRs in on the road here in Qatar. They sound incredible! I'd **** for that kind of exhaust note in my LR4.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only mention of the new Discovery in a recent Discovery Sport Article was that it was scheduled for 2017, as they said before. Here is the last paragraph:

If Land Rover keeps to its recent form, the Sport will likely remain in production until around 2023, with a facelift appearing in 2019. There seems little reason to think that the impressive sales rate of its first 500 days of production won't continue until at least the half way mark of the life cycle. And there's a lot to come for the Discovery series, with the L462 replacement for the existing L319 Discovery due to reach the market in 2017. Another model, L851, should be a B/C segment SUV to sit below the Discovery Sport due in 2019. And then there is the still secret PHEV Land Rover to be built by Magna Steyr, a new plant in Slovakia, the next Defender family and even, a potential new Range Rover to be positioned between the Evoque and RR Sport. It's dangerous to make strong predictions in this business but unless the world economy suffers another deep downturn, JLR has clearly got Land Rover's sights set on remaining the world's dominant utility-to-luxury 4x4 brand for the forseeable future.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be swayed down the road for whatever Defender they cook up, but LR need to make it pretty off-road focused and get away from all the soccer mom designs they keep crapping out.

Land Rover is headed for a problem as they change the LR4/Discovery focus from off-road to family hauler by adding running boards, making low range & HD a special order feature and roof rails an accessory. They will end up competing with on-road vehicles like the new XC90 and Q7. Is Land Rover ready to offer all this technology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a9WYWKHSk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo