LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Q7 in my opinion, is too bland now. At lest it had a personality last gen.

I think I would take the Volvo XC90 over the 7.

I'd keep the '13 :)

Got to have choices in life :)

The new Q7 does look better in person. We can only hope the same happens with the new Discovery. I test drove the new XC70, just can't live with that 4-cylinder for $70K. 3.0T in the Q7 is so much better.

And yes, we are keeping the red 2013 LR4 for a long time. We ordered that one new and it only has 15K miles on it.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove down the street a few blocks from home just wasting time really. Seeing how everyone summer yards are coming along.

A lady gets out of a Q7 with temp tags on. A little better in person. I didn't want to stare. I did slow down and also realized they had a previous generation RRS autobiography in the garage.

Hummmm. [emoji592]

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace one of our 2013 LR4's next year. So far it looks like it will be a new Audi Q7, unless the new Discovery can compete with the technology in the new Q7. Only downside to the Q7 is a 5-month wait after you order one and the lack of a spare tire.

I'm actually picking up a 2017 Q7 tomorrow. It reminds me a lot of the LR4 that I had (2014 SCV6 Lux). I've missed my LR4 since it was returned to LR (Lemon).

Driving the Q7 is very similar in that the engines are almost exactly the same with similar characteristics. Q7 somewhat floats like the LR4 but handles better as its lighter and slightly more sporty in dynamic mode. Slightly less cargo space but much nicer tech. Tows the same amount of weight as the LR4 as well.

I do hate the spare tire issue. That was one of the reasons I liked the LR4. But hopefully fingers crossed I have never had a flat tire in something that doesn't have a spare.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
epic4, congrats on the new Q7. I thought the one I test drove (20" tires & air suspension) handled much better than my LR4 with Cooper Zeons.

There is a Q7 spare tire option in the works, but it kills a lot of cargo area:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/q7/msgs/9770.phtml

I guess it's better than some of the X5's I see on vacation trips with a full size spare mounted on a Yakima roof-top cargo tray.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
epic4, congrats on the new Q7. I thought the one I test drove (20" tires & air suspension) handled much better than my LR4 with Cooper Zeons.

I guess it's better than some of the X5's I see on vacation trips with a full size spare mounted on a Yakima roof-top cargo tray.

Did not want the full size spare route. I had an X5 and put the mini spare in the trunk floor. Soon had a flat. It was quite an experience going from the OEM 315/35r20 to the mini spare while they ordered me a new tire.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow that is a horrid spare tire solution. Our X5 has a steel donut spare in the trunk. Between ~50 miles on the runflat and ~50 miles on the donut we should be able to get somewhere.

Hopefully something better comes out. I think from my quick look in the cargo space it looked like there was a pump and canister of goo. Should get the run flat patched up long enough to stretch the distance longer than 50 miles if necessary. I'll report back once I get mine home today.

The one I am purchasing doesn't have the air suspension/4 wheel steer. Just didn't feel like dealing with it long term and I found an excellent deal on a dealer loaner with 3,800 miles on it, CPO'd.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite the color combos! I am just not sure why they need every vehicle to look so similar. The difference between RR, RRS, Discovery 5, Discovery Sport, and Evoque are becoming minimal. It's just like taking the RR and continually squeezing it down.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The C pillar makes it look like a Ford Explorer clone, more than the RRS does.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, I think it is a great looking vehicle. But is not a Discovery. Lost too much heritage. It looks like just any LR SUV out there and even worse looks like the Explorer more and more.

The roof looks like the alpine roof guy lost a bet but threw a fit so they let him have a little lift to keep him from going home.

No split tailgate?? ***?

Window between C and D seems worthless.

Usually I cannot wait to get rid of a car when the new design comes out but this is making me glad I pulled the trigger on a 2016.5

Bravo to the designers for making a good looking car but negative kudos to LR for badging it a LR5/Discovery 5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo