LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgate confirmed

Attachments

• D5.jpg
    D5.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 90

JMC08

Reaction score
Tailgate confirmed

That does not look like the Discovery to me. It appears to be the new Range Rover Sport hatchback version. Rumors are they intend to put out a competitor to the BMW X6, which looks like this to me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the RRS Coupe test mule, or whatever Land Rover is cooking up as the X6 fighter, it's expected to launch in 2017 as a 2018 model.

I don't know about the split tailgate being gone, the more I look at those photos the more I think that pronounced "indent" along the width of the tailgate, under the license plate, seems carved to mate with the bulge over the upper edge of the rear bumper when lowered... Hard to see where it would split. Just under the tail lamps, perhaps?

I am in the "like" camp. I even like the proportions of the stepped roof, it manages to keep alive a little of the Discovery design "heritage", but doesn't detract from the sleek side profile of the car overall. This looks like a Disco the same way a RR Mark III must have looked like to owners of a P38 back then, or the LR3 to owners of a Disco 2. Nothing like the original article, but modern and (to me) quite elegant. As far as the window between C and D... surely third row passengers will appreciate that?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is that Land Rover better bring the lumber with the new Defender.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the split tailgate being gone, the more I look at those photos the more I think that pronounced "indent" along the width of the tailgate, under the license plate, seems carved to mate with the bulge over the upper edge of the rear bumper when lowered... Hard to see where it would split. Just under the tail lamps, perhaps?

Now that I look at it more closely you may be right. I do not see any grip, pull, or handle near the bottom of the tailgate. Seems like the rear access would come from the center area somewhere, which could indicate a split tailgate.

I am seemingly in the minority, but I actually do not like the split tailgate. I use an Otto step to get my dogs in and out and that split gate makes it really awkward. I have to have 32" extention into the hitch to make the step sit back far enough for them to use it. At least on the new one it appears the tailgate would be straight across. The current swooped design of the rear glass/tailgate makes it easy for the dogs to miss the jump with their right rear paws and tumble a little as they get in...

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If not mistaken, they enter via the rear passenger door. Hehe. Meow meow

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I get the joke, but no offense taken anyway!

Unfortunately I have been through 3 TPLO knee surgeries on two American Bulldogs (they weigh about 140 lbs). Anytime they twist, fall, stumble or bang their knees getting and and out of the LR I get nervous!

No loose cats in the LR through, they jump out as easily as they jump in (even a window), so crates for them!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo